cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to join two L2 switches that are in different VTP domains

jeffrey.girard
Level 1
Level 1

I have two different and both large VTP domains.

I have two VLANs (VLANs 58 and 59) that I need to "extend" from one VTP domain into the other.  I do not need x-VTP domain VLAN management.

The border switches are both 3560Gs.  Connecting them together via a trunk link produces a VTP domain mis-match error, as expected.  Additionally, my VLANs of interest (58 and 59) are not working.

Diagram

VTP Domain A with VLANs 58 and 59 defined and working.

3560G switch

Connected via 802.1q trunk

A second 3560G switch in VTP Domain B.

Any switchports that are configured as switchport access vlan 58 or 59 are not communicating back across the trunk to any VLAN 58/VLAN 59 devices in the original VTP domain

Whats the best way to accomplish this?  I would like to avoid inserting a L3 link if at all possible

Jeff

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

Turn off DTP ie. under the interface configuration "switchport nonegotiate", set the trunk to on "switchport mode trunk"  and then make sure the native vlan on both switches is the same vlan.

Are the 2 switches running in VTP transparent mode ?

Jon

Jon -

Both "border" switches are set as VTP clients of their respective domains and the native VLANs border switches is currently not the same.

Jeff

Jeff

VTP client should not affect it but you need to make sure that the native vlan is the same on the trunk link. The native vlan is however specific to each trunk ie. each trunk link on the same switch could use a different native vlan if you wanted so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Jon

Jon -

Thanks.  I will lab it up and see what I come up with.  If success, I will come back to so indicate

Jeff

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: