cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd Party SIP Phones and CUCM

c.registration
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to register an Avaya 9640G phone with CUCM 7 using SIP or H323 protocols. Not having a lot of luck, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Why I'm doing it is something I don't want to get into. Let's just say it's in the clients interest to have some Avaya phones on desks.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The process to get a 3rd-party SIP phone to register is pretty much the same across devices; however, your endpoint may or may not support the parameters you need to authenticate the phone.  Here are 2 blogs that give instructions on how to register basic 3rd-party endpoints.  Don't get caught up on the vendors - just that each is a 3rd-party SIP endpoint that supports passing the information necessary to authenticate and register:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-acrobits-softphone-and-weephone-for-iphone.html

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-x-lite-as-an-example.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks, that does help. I was able to register a X-Lite softphone with my basic SIP phone configuration. I still can't register the Avaya 9640G, but that's probably either my phone configuration or the proprietary nature of this Avaya phone.

I haven't specifically tried to register an Avaya phone to a Cisco cluster; however, you would want to check on whether or not the phone supports this configuration. SIP, while it is supposed to be an open protocol, is not. Each vendor implements things a bit differently. In addition, I believe Avaya uses a modified/proprietary implementation of H323 in some instances as well - that may be inaccurate as I haven't done much with Avaya outside of simply providing integration between CUCM cluster and Avaya PBX in a while.

Sir Hailey -

In your testing, did you see anything in the SIP stacks that would be able to handle MWI on/offs?   Not so much with Avaya, but with any other 3rd party client.  I thought I had a feature comparision chart from Cisco that explained what was supported from a 3rd party SIP phone option... but I could be speaking from my backside.

I was mostly focused on the registration / setup and simple features like receving/making calls, etc.  That comparison chart does sound familiar...but what I'm thinking of may have just been Basic vs. Advanced 3rd-party device definitions/features.

Tommer,

I am way late to the game on this thread but I have tested MWI for some SIP applications. I have found that MWI works on CounterPath products (Bria on Mac and iPhone, specifically), Media5fone (iPhone/iPod touch), and on sipDroid (Android).

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

TarasKotov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, c.registration.

Can you make some dumps with a sniffer like tcpdump or Wireshark to look at those packets?