cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3rd Party SIP Phones and CUCM

c.registration
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking to register an Avaya 9640G phone with CUCM 7 using SIP or H323 protocols. Not having a lot of luck, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this. Why I'm doing it is something I don't want to get into. Let's just say it's in the clients interest to have some Avaya phones on desks.

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The process to get a 3rd-party SIP phone to register is pretty much the same across devices; however, your endpoint may or may not support the parameters you need to authenticate the phone.  Here are 2 blogs that give instructions on how to register basic 3rd-party endpoints.  Don't get caught up on the vendors - just that each is a 3rd-party SIP endpoint that supports passing the information necessary to authenticate and register:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-acrobits-softphone-and-weephone-for-iphone.html

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sip-endpoints-in-cisco-cucm-x-lite-as-an-example.html

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks, that does help. I was able to register a X-Lite softphone with my basic SIP phone configuration. I still can't register the Avaya 9640G, but that's probably either my phone configuration or the proprietary nature of this Avaya phone.

I haven't specifically tried to register an Avaya phone to a Cisco cluster; however, you would want to check on whether or not the phone supports this configuration. SIP, while it is supposed to be an open protocol, is not. Each vendor implements things a bit differently. In addition, I believe Avaya uses a modified/proprietary implementation of H323 in some instances as well - that may be inaccurate as I haven't done much with Avaya outside of simply providing integration between CUCM cluster and Avaya PBX in a while.

Sir Hailey -

In your testing, did you see anything in the SIP stacks that would be able to handle MWI on/offs?   Not so much with Avaya, but with any other 3rd party client.  I thought I had a feature comparision chart from Cisco that explained what was supported from a 3rd party SIP phone option... but I could be speaking from my backside.

I was mostly focused on the registration / setup and simple features like receving/making calls, etc.  That comparison chart does sound familiar...but what I'm thinking of may have just been Basic vs. Advanced 3rd-party device definitions/features.

Tommer,

I am way late to the game on this thread but I have tested MWI for some SIP applications. I have found that MWI works on CounterPath products (Bria on Mac and iPhone, specifically), Media5fone (iPhone/iPod touch), and on sipDroid (Android).

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

TarasKotov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, c.registration.

Can you make some dumps with a sniffer like tcpdump or Wireshark to look at those packets?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: