Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnel interface in Router

ssweehinlew
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

What is the purpose for tunnel interface in router? what is the maximum bandwidth for the interface?

3 Replies 3

komondal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Are you looking for MPLS TE tunnel ? If yes, This would give you good info http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6557/mpls_te_frr.pdf.

k_srinadh
Level 1
Level 1

Tunneling provides a way to encapsulate arbitrary packets inside a transport protocol. This feature is implemented as a virtual interface to provide a simple interface for configuration.

The tunnel interface is not tied to specific "passenger" or "transport" protocols, but , it is an architecture that is designed to provide the services necessary to implement any standard point-to-point encapsulation scheme. Because tunnels are point-to-point links, you must configure a separate tunnel for each link.

Maximum bandwidth for the interface that is denpends you can spacify under tunnel int ..

as permy kowledge 40Mbps...bcz i specified the same. :).

interface Tunnel0
description VPN site1

bandwidth

ip address x.x.x.x SNM

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Srinadh

Jigar Dave
Level 3
Level 3

I am trying to give your answers ( Experts, correct me if I am wrong)

if on your router total two interface exists, i.e. serial0/1/0 and fastether 0/1 in which fast ether 0/1 is connected to your LAN and serial is connected with WAN links, and you want to connect to other 20 sites at outer side and want to manage traffic then you can create tunnel for each site and give tunnel source IP as your WAN interface IP and tunnel destination IP as other site WAN IP. in this way you can move traffic from your one site to other 20 sites using only one WAN interface. no need for 20 routers. tunnel will use the bandwidth of WAN interface, lets say WAN is having 2 MB speed then its divided by all tunnel interfaces.

hope this helps

Thanks,

Jigar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card