Helpful
Replies

BGP to EIGRP Redistribution Query....

ranjit123
Level 3
Level 3

Dear All,

I have a doubt in BGP to EIGRP redistribution. My Topology is as Below

|--------------------------> A Router -------------------------------------------|

|                                                                                      |

Core Switch ---------                                                                                       |  MPLS Cloud    ------------------------------ Remote Branch

|                                                                                      |

|---------------------------> B Router -------------------------------------------|

Router A & B are both running BGP with Serice provider and resdistributing all the prefixes in EIGRP process.

I want the prefixes learned by core switch from Router B to be alwayz primary and prefixes from Router A to always be secondary.

I have planned the Below config for router A

Route eigrp <>

redistribution bgp <> metric

distance 175 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 20

IN the Above Config will all the routes redistributed from bgp into EIGRP process get the admin distance of 175???, and will this be propogated to the core switch???? where in core switch has rotues from Router B with admin distacne of 170 and routes from router A with admin distance of 175.

Will This Work?

Regards,

Ranjit

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rick

Good point. With the topology given that is defintely the easiest thing to do. Sometimes we can overcomplicate things

Jon

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ranjit

There are much easier ways to achieve what you want -

1) if the remote network are summarisable then from router A advertise an EIGRP summary address on the link to the core switch using the interface command "ip eigrp summary-address ...."

That way the more specific routes are advertised from B and will be used unless the link goes down and then the summary route to A will be used.

2) if the networks are not summarisable then you can use an offset-list on router A to make the metrics of the routes received from A higher than those from B so again B will be preferred to A in normal circumstance.

Both these solutions would in my opinion be better than changing the AD.

Jon

Ranjit,

Admin distance is local to the router; this attribute is not propagated to neighbors.  I agree with Jon that this technique should only be used as a last resort.

Increasing the delay on secondary path interfaces is the easiest way to influence EIGRP path selection if you want it to impact all traffic.

Very good read here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094cb7.shtml

Chris

Jon and Chris have both given good answers that address the fact that changing the admin distance would not be an  effective solution and have proposed other solutions. But neither of them has suggested what I regard as the easiest and most effective solution. When you redistribute BGP into EIGRP you must set a metric for the redistributed routes. Just set the metric of redistribution higher on A and all routes will be preferred that come from B.

Summarization, and offset lists, and changing delay on secondary paths are all solutions that would work. But nothing is easier or more effective than changing the metric at the point of redistribution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Good point. With the topology given that is defintely the easiest thing to do. Sometimes we can overcomplicate things

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card