cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"apply config" in CUCM 7.x and up

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Im doing a cucm install of 7.x and I notice a "apply config" button at the top by "save", "delete", etc.  So if I save the config, does it not automatically apply it to the configuration?  What is the purpose of the "apply config"?  Is it to apply the configuration you just did without saving it?  Thanks all.

6 Replies 6

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Apply config is similar to what you would see in 4x where when you clicked "Save" you would be prompted to Reset or Restart the device.  Now when you click Save, you are prompted to Apply Config which does a restart to ensure the config is written to the DB.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

It does a restart?  So if you save it, are the changes applied at that point?  Because Im certain I wouldnt want to restart the server or services for a change?  What was the purpose for that?

It doesn't restart the server. It's a restart of the DEVICE...a soft restart of the phone or other component you want. The config is written as soon as you save but some components need a restart/reset to sync up local configs with the DB.

Sent from my iPhone

My (non-Cisco design team) take on it is that 'apply config', 'restart' and 'reset' all do the same thing, but to varying degrees of certainty.

Apply Config should do the least amount of resetting possible to apply whatever it is you have changed, but if it doesn't... you'll hit reset anyway.

If you do reset a phone, it won't reset until the phone is on-hook, so it's reasonably unintrusive considering changes shouldn't be that frequent anyway.

If on the other hand, you 'apply config' you would probably still tell your users to expect a reset.

So my advice is... go for the jugular; reset the phone and your latest config will take effect in one bounce.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

From what i`ve read and picked up from  others it seems to be a grey area. It will reset items if it needs a reset otherwise it will not - some sort of intelligence??? however if you have to answer a question from a change control board - "will your change reset items"  what answer do you give?  I agree just reset as before at least you know it is going to reset

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: