Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks HUM Poller Query/Clarification

naveeku2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a query related to Pollers in HUM 1.2 :

In the HUM Poller Creation , we have an option to “poll all instances”. I am checking it because I want to poll all available instances on the device so that complete information about all devices is available for device statistics like Top N/Bottom N Utilization/Errors etc. .. on the HUM portal..

In the Poller Status, I see some errors and the failure status is “Permanent” and the reason is “No Such Instance - The specified instance is not available”. I don’t see any reason why this is happening, because HUM itself is polling the devices and fetching the instances available & it is throwing an error saying instance is not available. As per my understanding (Please correct me if I am wrong !),  It makes sense if the failure status is “Transient” which would mean that device is down/SNMP credentials are incorrect/SNMP request time out . However I see the Failure status is “Permanent”.

Could any of you please tell me why this is happening ?

Also please let me know how do we avoid “Permanent” Poller failures ?

Appreciate your help and support,

Thanks & Regards,

Naveen

3 Replies 3

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

These are usually sub-interfaces or those not supported by HUM (can also be due to bugs). You should go ahread and remove polling from the error prone interfaces after confirming that they actually exist on the device.

The 'all instances' option is not suitable for most environments. You must chose the interfaces manually to perform adequate polling.

Regards

Farrukh

Hi Farrukh,

Thanks for your reply.Manually choosing the interfaces is a good option. But, it becomes very tedious and time consuming when the number of devices and their assosiated interfaces becomes very large. I was wondering is there's a way to automate this ., as in HUM should poll only those interfaces which are operationally up.

Regards,

Naveen

well you could try to shut down the un-used interfaces and then try to discover the device in HUM, I think this should help you.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card