cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Issue with 3560g sfp GLC-SX-MM connect to 2924C

blake.e.gilson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560g switch. Have gig sfp interface [GLC-SX-MM=] and want to connect to to WS-2924C-XL f0/24 fasteth fiber port.

I have a patch panel in the middle.

3560g sfp interface [GLC-SX-MM=]   SC   ---------- ST PP  ST   -------------------------   SC  2924C-XL f0/24 fasteth fiber port

can I make this work? The lights do not come up. The port are configured correctly. I can not hard code the speed on the 3560 int sfp.

3 Replies 3

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unfortunately, you can't directly connect a 1GE GLC-SX-MM SFP interface to a 100Base-FX interface.  You will need to swap the SFP on the 3560G with a 100Base-FX SFP (GLC-FE-100FX).

Cisco 100-Megabit Ethernet SFP Modules  Compatibility Matrix

<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL632702.html>

Hope this helps.

Tom

Thank you so much for your responce.

Looking at the Matrix, I am a bit confused, with the 3560g, should I get GLC-GE-100FX or GLC-FE-100FX?

What is the differance between FE and GE?

Looking at the data sheets, it looks like the GLC-GE-100FX is for systems whose SFP slot supports up to a Gigabit Ethernet line rate, but can also operate at 100Mb (Fast Ethernet).  Whereas, the GLC-FE-100FX is for systems whose SFP slot has a maximum bandwidth of 100Mb (Fast Ethernet).   You will need to figure out which model 3560 switch configuration you have so that you can choose the proper SFP model.

Tom