cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New in Voip but beed help please..

masoodabooali
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am  routing and Switching professional who have been working on the SP track as well. recently I was exposed to the VoIP and all different ways we can get Cisco Telephony setup and work depending on the application and environmnet. I was wondering if I can use a Cisco 2611, with proper module (which by the way I don't know which or what module(s) I must use..) to make VoIP calls using a Gateway or Cable/DSL WAN connection?

I have been faced with this scenario and I was wondering beside Cisco Communicator software on the PCs for this small compay (Educational Only) what else I might need to use their Cisco 2611XM, VoIP enabled to make VoIP calls for a Maximum of 5 connections.

They will purchase the licenses needed for the softphones for their PCs but I am stuck on how to make teh router (a Cisco 2611 XM router) VoIP enabled to use the company's WAN connection to make calls outside using softphones on their PCs!?!. They have a cable Internet connection, A Cisco 2611 XM router and a CAT 3550 L3 Switch.

Please excuse me if my question doesn't make sense or just impossible! I am totally new to VoIP but I know how to configure such router for VoIP based on Cisco documentations but that is all i know when it comes to this project! What Module is needed? I don't know and how and if it is possible to interface this router with their Cable Internet connections. Mazimum of 5 people in this office.

Please note that I am not doibg this for business and am not charging for doing this. This is as said before only educational.

Best Regards,

Masood

Message was edited by: Masood Abooali

1 Reply 1

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The first thing you'll want to look into will be Call Manager Express (CME) which runs on a router.  This will be your call control that will allow your Cisco IP Communicator (CIPC) to register so they can make calls.  Alternatively there are some small business devices such as the UC500 series.

CME: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/

UC500: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/ps7293/index.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: