Redundant WLC 5508

Unanswered Question
Aug 12th, 2010

I have one 5508 installed and working for about a year now.  I want to install a redundant 5508.  How do I configure the controllers?  What do I need to do to have them work properly?  Any info will help.  Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Thu, 08/12/2010 - 16:07

Same config (except for the IP addresses), same SSID/AP Groups/Mobility, same firmware.

ntxawgyaj Fri, 08/13/2010 - 10:01

Do I need to configure anything on the AP?  How do they know whwere to connect to if the primary WLC is down?  Or will all of this happen automatically as long as I have the second WLC up, the AP will find another WLC if the primamry is down?  Anything docs on this?  Thanks leolaohoo.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 08/15/2010 - 15:31

Do I need to configure anything on the AP?

No need.

How do they know whwere to connect to if the primary WLC is down?

Once the LWAP has successfully joined a controller, configure High Availability.
thrynyk9872 Thu, 08/19/2010 - 14:51

Run the same code on both controllers, copy the current config from the production controller to the new controller (make sure it's offline).  Then reconfigure the interfaces to something else so that there is no IP conflict and setup the HA for the access points and setup the mobility group so that roaming works.  I've done this on 4400's so I would imagine it could also be done on 5508's.

Todd Morgan Fri, 07/18/2014 - 09:22

I have a second wlc 5508 and I am looking to do exactly this add it as a redundant WLC. Can someone give me the easiest way to do this? The second WLC5508 is still new in box off the network. command line options might be good if possible.

This Discussion

Related Content