Network Design Assistance

Unanswered Question

First time on this forum.

I have a client who has asked me to do something I've never done before. Current equipment: single ZyXEL firewall connecting to a network with about 120 workstations and 5 servers. Single T1. Two switches, one managed and one non-managed. All on one subnet - no VLAN's.

They are upgrading to a second T1. What my client wants to do is to split the bandwidth for those T1's and keep one T1 for her administrative staff only, let all other users share the other T1. I talked to a couple of Cisco CSR's and one suggested a 2800 series router, one suggested a RV402 ISR. The CSR who recommended the RV402 said that I could use each WAN port for a separate T1. Then I should create VLAN's for the admin/general user groups and trunk between them. Here are my questions:

• Can what I'm trying to do actually be done? I am familiar with the practice of implementing QoS based on applications and type of traffice, but not trying to guarantee bandwidth.

• Is a RV402 device going to work for this? I have not heard of using dual WAN ports for keeping two T1 connections separate. I have only seen documentation about using the 2nd WAN port for redundancy and failover.

• Finally, is a pair of ESW 520 switches full-featured enough to create the VLAN's and trunking necessary for this type of scenario?

I appreciate any help or advice on this project.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion