Views
Helpful
Replies

Conencting E1 circuit with regular Ethernet cable

dambodambo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

Have you ever had problems when connecting E1 circuit with regular Ethernet straight-through cable (4 twisted pairs instead of 2)?

The router is at a remote location and I cannot change the cable.

Router type: cisco 2800.

E1 controller is up; serial is up, line protocol is down.

I believe the problem is not in the cable but I checked the configuration and there is no issue as well.

Thanks,

Darko

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Alway use properly wired and twisted T1 cable using T1 pinout.. DO NOT USE ETHERNET CABLE.

2. this said, problem can be in the circuit and not in the cable. Send "show controllers E1" and "show interface serial".

Note: even if the SP swears the circuit is working, that is oftent NOT the case.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. Alway use properly wired and twisted T1 cable using T1 pinout.. DO NOT USE ETHERNET CABLE.

2. this said, problem can be in the circuit and not in the cable. Send "show controllers E1" and "show interface serial".

Note: even if the SP swears the circuit is working, that is oftent NOT the case.

1. I totaly agree with this. However since the cable is already there I asked if anyone ever had an issue like this caused by the Ethernet cable.

2. Router is not operational now. Therefore I cannot send the "show controllers E1" and "show interface serial" output. My client told me they will change the E1 module and then call me to check it again.

It is a waste of time and money to replace hardware.

When a circuit does not come up, the problem is in the circuit, not in the router. Always.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card