Views
Helpful
Replies

Using a downlink as an uplink

uberdevokris
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am considering the use of the switch WS-C2960S-24TS-L as a standard access switch for a large organization.

This means standardized architecture and following the best practices.

They used switches with dual-purpose uplinks before.

WS-C2960S-24TS-L:

- 24 x Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports

- 4 x 1GbE SFP uplinks

If I want to connect this access switch to a  distribution switch, what would be better?

• Using one of the 24 "downlinks" as an "uplink"... is it really a good practice? I mean, is it an issue? Isn't there any risk?

OR

• Using a 1000BASE-T Ethernet SFP module (GLC-T=)

PS: Also, what do you think about 10GbE uplinks at the access layer? Isn't it a bit too much?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jorge.calvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My suggestion is to use the Gigabit ports as dual uplinks to your distribution switches pair and use the Ethernet ports for access ports. Although you could use any port as uplink, the Gigabit ones are designed to be used as uplinks, what will provide consistency to your network design.

The use of 10Gb uplinks from access to distribution is usually deployed in Data Centers and not on the Campus Enterprise.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

jorge.calvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

My suggestion is to use the Gigabit ports as dual uplinks to your distribution switches pair and use the Ethernet ports for access ports. Although you could use any port as uplink, the Gigabit ones are designed to be used as uplinks, what will provide consistency to your network design.

The use of 10Gb uplinks from access to distribution is usually deployed in Data Centers and not on the Campus Enterprise.

Hope this helps.

Thank you jorge.calvo.

I was just wondering why would I need to buy additional costly 1000BASE-T SFP modules, as all ports - downlinks and uplinks - are Gigabit Ethernet.

It is hard to justify.

I agree that it simplifies the network design.

Hello,

My answer was focused to provide the best implementation regardless of the needed material. However there is no issue in using any of the other ports as uplinks if they are configured at 1Gb. That implementation will work.

Cheers.

Hi Kris,

I guess it is better to use 1GbE SFP slot for your Uplink, though it can be use for longer connectivity over normal 10/100/1000 slot of RJ45 connector, which restric the connectivity up to 100m.

Jorge,

Please correct me if i have taken a wrong point on discussion.

Regards,

Hardik

Hi Hardik,

I agree with you the best way to implement the uplinks is using the 1Gb uplink ports, what are designed for being uplinks.

I also agree that sometimes it is difficult to justify any expense to the customers. However, some investments must be done when a network is deployed, just to enusure no problems will arise on the future due cable limitations, scalability and so on and to follow the best practice methods. In addition, not using those uplink ports means the customer has paid for features he will not use anyway.

Regards. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card