Views
Helpful
Replies

VPLS - SPA-4XOC3-POS - Core Facing ?

arun kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi NetPros,

I know this topic has been discussed many times in forum and I could find useful information on specific hardware support in 7604.

However my requirement is bit strange (as it sounds to me). I have the below hardware:

7604 chassis

Sup 720-3B

SIP 400

SPA-4XOC3-POS

WS-X6516A-GBIC

As I gone through the forum, I understood the only constraint in 7604 with VPLS is that the core facing should be either SIP-400/SIP-600 with Gigi SPA, ES-10G and OSM.

1. But my problem now is I have SIP-400 with SPA-4XOC3-POS. Can this SPA be used on wan facing side for MPLS to work. To my understanding, core should only do label swapping and not mandatory that core facing should be Gigi.  Though my typical core facing PE (NPEG1 now) side is only on Gigi, in this case of VPLS with 7604 I dont have Gigi and have to purchase so thought if SPA-4XOC3-POS works then atleast I go ahead and test VPLS. Procuring Gigi SPA will take some time due to business approvals.

2. If only Gigi SPA should be on the core facing side, then which Gigi SPA should be supported. Will 1 Gigi SPA support or I have to go for 10 Gigi SPA?

thanks

Arun

2 Replies 2

Hi Arun

--- > Can this SPA be used on wan facing side for MPLS to work. To my understanding, core should only do label swapping and not mandatory that core facing should be Gigi.

As per my understanding you what to configure VPLS on POS interface facing towards CE.

Or You want to use POS for Core facing i.e. internal network towards  " P "

If towards "P" then yes it should work because xconnect vfi require L3 that is IP routing to reach other end and that can possible via static configuration or via BGP auto discovery.

and If towards CE then i don't think it work. Below is the specification.

I have not tested but if possible you can check weather you will get any command "xconnect vfi " under POS interface  that connect towards CE.

As per my understanding you can terminate VPLS link using  Access Port , Trunk Port , Dot1q Tunnel  for CE.

just check  !!

mpls label protocol ldp
mpls ldp logging neighbor-changes
mpls ldp router-id Loopback0

l2 vfi l2vpn manual
vpn id 1
neighbor 10.0.0.2 encapsulation mpls
neighbor 10.0.0.3 encapsulation mpls
neighbor 10.0.0.4 encapsulation mpls

int loopback 1

1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

And try to configure  xconnect vfi under POS interface . But i don't think because VPLS Provide L2 service .

Regards

Chetan Kumar

http://chetanress.blogspot.com

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is the SIP-400 that handles the label imposition/disposition so you are fine with the POS SPA.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: