cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup 720's- High CPU

Kristen Sims
Level 1
Level 1

We have noticed that at 8:30 pm for two nights in a row, the CPU Routing processor spikes to 98-99%. This is after business hours. Any ideas what could be causing this? It then drops down to 40-50% and the average cpu % per day is around 45%.

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

jorge.calvo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

In order to identify what is causing those spikes, more details are needed. Please, provide:

show version

show processes cpu sorted at the time the CPU is high

Regards.

Jayakrishna Mada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

As Jorge mentioned we need more information to tell what is causing the issue. Outputs like show proc cpu | e 0.00 when the switch is running high cpu will help.

Also please go through the following link, its a pretty good document on how to troubleshoot high cpu on 6500 and the causes for it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a00804916e0.shtml

It also talks about how to span traffic hitting the CPU.

Hope that helps.

JayaKrishna

Kristen Sims
Level 1
Level 1

We are running version 12.2-33 SXH

We are not on site at the time this is occuring but the other night my co-worker was here waiting for the AC system to be fixed. That was when we first noticed the spike. He did not capture the cpu processes but said he did run the command at the time and IP Input process seemed to be high. He did not tell me the percentage.

So far today I have noticed that the CPU has been running lower than average than the past few days. We were experiencing an internet latency issue caused by an issue outside of our LAN the past few days. That issue is corrected now.

Kristen Sims
Level 1
Level 1

I get "forbidden link" when I try to access it. I am logged in.

HI,

Go to Cisco.com and search for "high cpu 6500" and open the first link.

JayaKrishna

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card