cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you do SNMP Puts/Sets from an LMS 3.0 system?

mssnider
Level 1
Level 1

I used our LMS 3.0 system to push the command 'transport input telnet' to the line vty's on over 250 of our Cisco devices. I made a big mistake and typed 'transport input none' which effectively cut off remote access to these devices. The staffed locations have been corrected manually via correcting the command through the console port. Most of these are remote sites though and it will take a while before we can get our field ops guys out there. We cannot remotely support these devices due to my mistake.

Is there a way to correct this via our LMS system?

I'm not familiar with the snmpset command, but I thought we may be able to use LMS to perform this function?

Is there another section of LMS besides NetConfig that might be utilized?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

LMS 2.5 came with at least one "snmpset" binary: /opt/CSCOpx/objects/jt/bin/snmpset, so chances are LMS 3.x still has it.

Then, assuming you have a recent copy of the startup config of the devices somewhere, make your modifications to "'transport input", haul that to a directory on the LMS server that its TFTP daemon is aware of, follow the "Copy the Startup-Configuration Located on the TFTP Server to the Device" directions to upload the startup config with /opt/CSCOpx/objects/jt/bin/snmpset

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Once that's successful, follow the "How can I reload a router with use of SNMP?" directions to reboot the device, or reboot via the "smart"/managed powerstrips the devices are plugged into:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800c263d.shtml#qa4

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

LMS 2.5 came with at least one "snmpset" binary: /opt/CSCOpx/objects/jt/bin/snmpset, so chances are LMS 3.x still has it.

Then, assuming you have a recent copy of the startup config of the devices somewhere, make your modifications to "'transport input", haul that to a directory on the LMS server that its TFTP daemon is aware of, follow the "Copy the Startup-Configuration Located on the TFTP Server to the Device" directions to upload the startup config with /opt/CSCOpx/objects/jt/bin/snmpset

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Once that's successful, follow the "How can I reload a router with use of SNMP?" directions to reboot the device, or reboot via the "smart"/managed powerstrips the devices are plugged into:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00800c263d.shtml#qa4

Good idea and thanks for the info. Cisco TAC suggested I use

the snmpset command from a separate window server to grab the most recent config from LMS.

The only difference in their recommendation is that they added some MIB strings that will put the config file directly into the running configuration. So, no outage for the reload is required.

Here is the example:

snmpset -v1 -c .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.3.567 i 1 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.4.567 i 4 .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.5.567 a .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.6.567 s ""

snmpset -v1 -c .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.96.1.1.1.1.14.567 i 1

I thought copying from TFTP to the device's running config *merges* the two copies, at least when done on the CLI via "copy tftp running". OTOH, "copy tftp start" replaces the startup config. If the SNMP approach can actually overwrite the on-device running config, that's great and certainly a much palatable solution to replacing startupconfig+rebooting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco