CCIE Checklist

Unanswered Question
Aug 13th, 2010

In the CCIE lab checklist there is nothing specified with respect to "Bridging – Transparent, IRB, CRB" therefore should i assume this will not be part of the portion.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Reza Sharifi Fri, 08/13/2010 - 17:54

Hi Ryel,

If it is not in the blue print, you don't have to worry about it.  It is not in the test.

rich_foster Wed, 09/01/2010 - 01:30

Just because it's not on the blueprint doesn't mean it's not in the exam.  I think it's fair game for Cisco to put a fundamental route / switch feature such as IRB on the lab exam.

Also you'll gain a lot from understanding IRB.  You should know how to bridge between ethernet segments, configure spanning-tree, bridge over frame relay and configure BVI interfaces.

You don't need to worry about bridging on the 3560's as they route IPv6 (unlike the 3550).

rbevaart Mon, 09/13/2010 - 02:45

All Cisco-provided information clearly states that all topics are fair-game. Cisco can ask questions or configs on any other topics that it thinks a CCIE should master, even if they're not in the blueprint. It's not a "study and pass" type exam...

With regard to what is realistic, that is a different topic. Not all hardware and IOS versions in the lab are capable of all features...

IRB is part of the different techniques available to bridge L2 over an L3 network, very useful and IMHO opinion required knowledge to have...

This Discussion