2112 and vlan's

Answered Question
Aug 13th, 2010

We have a WLC 2112 connects to a 3560X switch(Layer 3).  It is connected to the management port (port 1) of the WLC.  The IP Address of the port is 192.168.200.4.  Our main network is 172.18.1.0/24.  The AP's are on the main network.  Two of the AP's need to connect to the WLC for the POE ports.  If I connect the AP to the WLC with an IP on the main network the AP will not connect to the WLC.  Are all ports on the WLC on the same network as the management interface?  Do I need to trunk the main network vlan to the WLC from the 3560?  How do you configure the ports on the WLC to be part of a different network without assigning an IP address to the port?

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks

Brent

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Stephen Rodriguez about 6 years 3 months ago

When you plug ina n AP to the POE ports on the back of the WLC, the AP will pull an IP address from the VLAN the management and ap-manager are on.  This is by design.  There are some downsides to doing this, for example you will not be able to telnet/ssh, or ping the AP.  There is a docuement on the support forums that was authored by Lee Johnson, that goes over some good does and don'ts for teh 21xx platform.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11760

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Stephen Rodriguez Sat, 08/14/2010 - 07:20

When you plug ina n AP to the POE ports on the back of the WLC, the AP will pull an IP address from the VLAN the management and ap-manager are on.  This is by design.  There are some downsides to doing this, for example you will not be able to telnet/ssh, or ping the AP.  There is a docuement on the support forums that was authored by Lee Johnson, that goes over some good does and don'ts for teh 21xx platform.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-11760

brentz Sat, 08/14/2010 - 18:08

Thanks for the reply.  So basically what are the other ports on the WLC normally used for?  So I assume you should have the AP's on the main network (another subnet) from the WLC.

As I looked at the 2100 Best Practice Paper I assume the WLC understnds trunking.  Are the other VLAN's in the config for Wireless LANs or are they for physical networks on the switch?

Thanks

Actions

This Discussion