Views
Helpful
Replies

catlyst switch 2950 how many vlans will supports

Srinivas N
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have catlyst switch 2950 verson no Version 12.1(22)EA4 and i can't creat vlan 1140.

when i am creating vlan 1140, i am getting error  VLAN 1140 is not user-configurable.

i can creat up to 1001 only....

I hope it is old verson, is this the reason?

and any way to creat creat 1140, please advice me ........

i am waiting for your reply.

thanks & Regards,

Thanks & Regards, Srinivas. N.
6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Srini,

Your question is not actually to how many VLANs can be created on the Cat2950 but rather what is the range of VLAN IDs.

The VLANs with the ID higher than 1005 are called extended range VLANs. In order to create them, your 2950 must run the Enhanced Image version and you must put your switch in VTP Transparent mode using the global configuration command

vtp mode transparent

The reason is that the VTPv1/VTPv2 supported by Cat2950 is not capable of distributing information about extended range VLANs. Note that if you are using VTP to maintain your VLAN database across a switched network, this would exclude your switch from participating in VTP. If you are not using VTP then this should not matter.

After your switch is in VTP Transparent mode you can create and use extended range VLANs just like any other VLAN.

What is your exact type of switch? The Enhanced Image is actually the same IOS image for all 2950 switches that decides in runtime, depending on the particular switch version, whether it enable some enhanced functions (including the extended range VLANs) or whether it remains with the standard feature set only. It may be possible that your switch does not allow the Enhanced Image to run and thus does not support extended range VLANs. Try to enter the show version command and look for the following output:

Processor board ID FOC0725Z3L9
Last reset from system-reset
Running Enhanced Image
24 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

This is an indication which image you are running. If this line is not displayed in the show version output or if it directly says "Running Standard Image" then I am afraid the extended range VLANs would not work (trying to configure them with the vtp mode transparent anyway would not do any harm, though).

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

Thank you very much for your information.....

i really appreciate you...

Thanks a lot.

Srinivas.

Thanks & Regards, Srinivas. N.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade your IOS to EA5 and later to support extended VLAN.

Leo,

Thank you very much for your addition to my response. You are absolutely correct - the 12.1(22)EA5 and newer IOSes for 2950 series switches do support extended range VLANs even in Standard Image mode. Thank you for pointing that out! Deserves a rating.

Let me add that the newest IOS available for the 2950 is the 12.1(22)EA13, c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA13.bin. Still, to configure extended range VLANs, the switch must be put into VTP Transparent mode.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for the ratings Peter. 

I had the same problem.

I only updated the system image to c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.ea8a.bin and all was succeed...

https://doc.lagout.org/network/Cisco/IOS%20Collection/c2950/c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.ea8a.bin

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card