Helpful
Replies

Speed dials

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all experts.

I have 2 questions kindly take time to answer them

1) All of you know, how we configure speed dials in mobile phones. We configure them on normal keypad, press the key 2 (for example) for few seconds, and the speed dial number gets dialed. Can we do the same in CUCM7.x or 8.x ?

2) With reference to the above question, what approach should i take to find the answer on my own ?, i downloaded cucm 7.0 administration guide and feature guide, but it hasnt shown how to configure speed dials :-(, how do you guys search for a specific feature ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I am going to assume by "mobile phones" you mean the 7921G or 7925G. Speed dials are a feature of that model and a referenced in the phone's documentation, not UCM. Cisco UCM has no feature called speed dials which is why you cannot find documentation on it. The closest that UCM comes is the speed dial line button type. The UCM-level features that are equivalent are :

1. Abbreviated dialing. You press a one- or two-digit index number representing the number you want to dial and then the AbbrDial soft key. This is a per-device setting (i.e. not global). These are configured by the user on the device using /ccmuser or the adminstrator by assigning a Speed Dial line button type to a device. If assigned to a free button it will act as a one-button speed dial. If you associate it beyond the available buttons, the index number shown to the left becomes its Abbreviated Dialing index.
  2. Fast dials. These are Personal Address Book entries that you have configured as a fast dial through /ccmuser. They are accessed and dialed through the Personal Address Book service. These are per-user settings.
  3. Translation patterns. Many other PBX systems have an explicit concept called Speed Dials that are globally available to all users. UCM doesn't bother with that feature because Translation Patterns can do that instead. Cisco just doesn't point this out very well. You can create a translation pattern that translates FROM anything TO anything. For example: *411 translates to +16085532447.

Dear Jonathan,

Thanks alot for the useful information. I really appreciate your feedback. By mobile phones i meant cell phones like nokia, samsung etc cell phones. In those cell phones, speed dials are associated with normal keypad. So in cucm (any version) can we associate speed dials with normal keypad ? like when i press 2 on my keypad (of phone like 7941 etc) extension 2002 gets dialed or any other number gets dialed. Is such a thing possible ?

2) I am new to cucm, just asking in advance, that when configuring speed dials in /ccmuser page, we are also given the option of speed dials not associated with buttons, can you kindly shed some light as to how to use those speed dials that arent associated with buttons.

Thanks a lot sir

The closest behavior you will see to that is called Abbreviated Dialing which are the speed dials not associated to buttons. Enter in a number on one of those, choose save, and note the index number to the left. Press that index number on the phone and then the AbbrDial soft key.

But we cant configure speed dials like cell phones ? i.e, cant associate speed dials with normal keypad ??

Correct.

Thanks alot Jonathan