cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk Configuration between Cisco 3130 and Nortel Passport 8010

harprit singh
Level 1
Level 1

i have a cisco 3130 and 1 nortel passport 8010.

on cisco switch i have vlan 1 as native and used as managment Vlan.

on nortel switch i have Vlan 22 as native and used as Managment Vlan.This is production envirnment and cannot change these settings

These switches connected together When i have created trunk with dot1q encapsulation this doesnt work at all.

Can i get help regarding what specific configuration should i use on both side to make it work.

4 Replies 4

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

generally, trunking between Cisco and non-Cisco switch is a challenge.

To make a trunk running between Cisco and non-Cisco switches, you probably need

int ...

switchport nonegotiate

command  on the Cisco side.

There might still be some other problems, especially with STP:

Don't forget PVSTP+ is Cisco proprietary (and also VTP is).

And other vendors might use different tagging logic - you might need to configure tagging for each VLAN. I'm not sure what's Nortel concept.

Look into the Nortel manual and don't forget other vendors might be using a different terminology (trunking instead of Etherchannel, e.g.).

BR,

Milan

Thanks Milan

Today im succesfull in my task,In nortel side i have made MST and Enable Tagging.DefaultVlanId value set to 22.

In Cisco Side I have done following configuration:

interface GigabitEthernetXXX
description link to Nortel
switchport trunk native vlan 22
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

This works wonderfull.

I have set native Vlan 22 on both side ,i think that solved my problem.Will  investigate and and post.

Hi,

I have followed the same configuration you mentioned on cisco side. But No Luck.

Aim using Nortel 5650TD and Cisco 2960S. In nortel 50 in a managmnet Vlan and i made the same 50 is a native vlan on Cisco trunk port. Still its not working well.

Also getting the following errors in cisco console

*Mar  2 23:06:51.114: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 1 on GigabitEthernet1/0/48 VLAN50.

*Mar  2 23:06:51.120: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet1/0/48 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent peer vlan.

*Mar  2 23:06:51.120: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet1/0/48 on VLAN0050. Inconsistent local vlan. *Mar  2 23:06:51.114: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer vlan id 1 on GigabitEthernet1/0/48 VLAN50.
*Mar  2 23:06:51.120: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_PEER: Blocking GigabitEthernet1/0/48 on VLAN0001. Inconsistent peer vlan.
*Mar  2 23:06:51.120: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet1/0/48 on VLAN0050. Inconsistent local vlan.

Can you explain more about MST in Nortel also do we need to untag the port (trunk port) default vlan in nortel?

that means the native vlan is not matched on both sides.  Fix that and the message should go away.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: