Is the CCIE worth it?

Unanswered Question
Aug 16th, 2010

Hey, everyone I have a few questions about the CCIE. I have my CCNA, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, and several other certifications

as well as over 5 years experience doing Network and Desktop troubleshooting, and sever experience. I passed the BSCI and BCMSN

in time for them to both transfer over to the new CCNP track. I am now half-way thru studying for my my TSHOOT test which will

earn me the title of CCNP. I was talking with a buddy of mine who said CCIE VoIP and or CCIE Security would be the better choice

because 95% of the people have their CCIE in routing and switching. I also know Juniper is eating into Cisco pretty good right now,

and was wondering if I get my CCIE in VoIP if it will be worth it in the long run. I know for a fact I can get my CCIE, im very intelligent

and can pretty much do anything. I love this field and enjoy network engineering and don't need to make 100k plus a year. My main

salary goal would be 50k to 70k at some point. But I do want to get my CCIE.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Brandon Buffin Mon, 08/16/2010 - 06:39

It depends. If your goal is simply to make 50-70k, you could certainly do that without a CCIE. I think there’s more to a CCIE than salary. It’s a great personal goal. It gives you something to work towards. You will gain a tremendous amount of knowledge along the way. That being said, the journey can be costly and the expense hard to justify if your employer does not put a value on the certification. The best scenario is to have an employer who will help with or pay for the required expense (training, travel, lab attempts, etc.) I would encourage you to look at your long term goals. What position do you want? What do you want to do on a daily basis? Will a CCIE help to achieve those goals?

Hope this helps.

dancampb Mon, 08/16/2010 - 06:42

I would say its worth it.  The CCIE is a very hard cert to get but you get a great sense of reward once you acheive it.  I would say if you want to go after it do it because you want to be a CCIE.  Because of the amount of time you will have to put in to pass you really need to want it.

Chad Peterson Wed, 08/18/2010 - 11:24

As far as which CCIE to get...well that's a hard one to answer.  I'd say just go for whichever you have interest in.  The journey to get your CCIE is what provides you the knowledge and expertise to go for your goals (money included), not the title itself.  Just having a CCIE shouldn't get you the job your looking should be able to back it up with what you know.

I think any of them would be a great choice.

Good luck,

This Discussion