Views
Helpful
Replies

RV 120w directs all requests for internal web server to admin login

djanzen
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning

I installed a new RV 120W last week and configured port forwarding on the router to direct all port 80 traffic to my interally hosted database with a web interface.

from any external address the database loads successfully and logins work fine, however anytime a user on the same internal network attempts to access the database using the same URL as external users they are directed to the routers admin login screen, and they need to use http://servername to access the database.

how can port 80 traffic be internally redirected to the server?

Thank you

10 Replies 10

PatrickJeski
Level 1
Level 1

Does your DNS resolve requests from local machines with local answers?

I dont think that i understand what you mean by that question

My DNS does this. If I look up mail.mydomain.com from an external location, is resolved with the external IP of the machine (24.xxx.xxx.xxx). However, if I lookup mail.mydomain.com from a local machine, it resolved with the local address (10.xxx.xxx.xxx). This might be happening in your case, that www.yourdatabasemachine.yourdomain.com resolves to the local address of the router, and so is not mappd. Try connecting (from a local machine) to the external ip address of the router rather than the url. If it is mapped to the server correctly, then look into your DNS setup.

I also have to do this with my RV120W.

From 'outside' the website works fine from the URL. From outside, it's http://app.company.com

From 'inside' the web url resoves to the RV120W's IP address, so it returns the login page to the device. So, from inside the network, I have IIS set up with that app in a virtual directory. From inside, it's http://server/app to bring up the same page. It's annoying, but I really have no clue how else to get around it. The DNS function on the RV 120W seems, well, lame relying mostly on being a DNS proxy to another DNS server.

allenmock
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same issue.  Today I replaced my WRT54G which had a nice feature called "Filter Internet NAT redirection"

.  When this was turned ON, I would see the behavior that everybody is describing here.  I see no way to change this on the RV120W

.  I have an open case with Cisco on this matter.

Here is some info on the "Filter Internet NAT redirection"

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wired-Routers/What-s-the-purpose-of-Filter-Internet-NAT-Redirection/m-p/63857

All,

We are currently seeing more cases with this same issue.  The DNS requests are going from the inside of your network, out to your ISP's DNS server, and then it's pointed back to the WAN of your router.  At this point you get a login page for the RV120W.  We are now aware of this issue and working towards a permenant resolution.

Currently you can resolve this 2 ways.  You can modify internal LMHost files on your PC that point your web server address to an internal IP address.

For example www.server123.com to 192.168.1.10

If you have an internal DNS server on your network, you can also create an A record that points to the internal IP address of the web server.

Please understand these are only work arounds until we get a final resolution.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

So, it is now 10 month ago that this issue was raised. Is there a solution for this problem yet? I do not see any firmware update available.

If not, can anybody at Cisco define the term "work"?

This problem is really annoying. How could a company like Cisco 1) not realize this in there tests before releasing the product and 2) not find/work on a solution for nearly a year.

I think the bad performance of the small business unit of Cisco should be an issue in the media. Perhaps I am going to write an article about that...

Regards,

Benedikt.

Benedikt,

Yes, it has been along time and the answer to your post there is currently a beta firmware that fixes the issue. The issue that you are having is called "Hair-pinning". I did some research on previous cases with customers having the exact same issue. The fix has been the beta firmware version 1.0.2.4 and no it is currently not on the Cisco website. After looking at many cases and reading a lot of notes, the release that was told to customers was suppose to be between the months of February and April. Sometimes the release are push back for many different reasons. If you need to get the beta please call the support center and open a case and we will give you support to get this issue taken care for you. I am sorry and apologize for the wait and any problem this may have cause you. In the future please don't wait to call the support center at 1-866-606-1866 and we will do our best to help you get your problem taken care of in a timely manner.

Hello all!

I was wondering if there had been any news on this front since this last posting? I just finally setup our new RV 120W only to find out we were having the exact same issues - being unable to access our web server internally, which is critical for us. We could do workarounds in terms of modifying our hosts file(s) to look for the internal IP as opposed to the external domain name, but our web server also uses subdomains (ie: calendar.server.com; wiki.server.com, etc.) which makes that not a viable option for us.

In the meantime I have put our old router back in but I figured I would register on this site and post here since this was the most relevant thread relating to this issue that I found. Any news would be greatly appreciated - and thanks in advance for those working to resolve it!

-Chris

Want to reiterate what Qumartin said above. There is a Beta Firmware which will resolve the issue. You must call the Small Business Support Center to get it (1-866-606-1866). Simply call, open a ticket, and tell the agent you're seeking RV120W Beta Firmware.

We do appreciate your patience and we are working diligently to make the firmware more accessible. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: