Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple phones same extension ringing issue

Hello,

I'm currently configuring a new call flow for our company. We have 6 departments and each of them have about 6 people. Below an example for one of our departments:

I've created a ephone-dn with the number 1250 for a whole department. Then I've added the extension number to each of the IP Phones(7975) in that department, in total 6 phones. This ephone-dn also has a secondary E.164 number configured. Once a incoming call comes in towards the secondary number, all phones start to ring.'That's how I want it. But once a second call comes in to that same secondary number, the phone only rings on the phone that answered the first call and does not ring on the other phones.

Is there a way to change this, or is this a unchangable behaviour?

We have the following software versions:

Cisco 3825

Cisco IOS: 12.4(15)T9

CME: 4.1

ephone-dn  57  dual-line
number 1250 secondary 76xxxxxxx
label NOC
name NOC
preference 0 secondary 1
call-forward busy 9000
call-forward noan 9000 timeout 16

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Grant

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Grant,

Sadly, that is exactly how "Shared" Dual-Lines work

Have you looked into upgrading CME to 4.3/7.0 that offers this new feature. I think it would offer the functionality you desire;

Octo-Line

An octo-line directory number supports up to eight active calls, both incoming and outgoing, on a single phone button. Unlike a dual-line directory number, which is shared exclusively among phones (after a call is answered, that phone owns both channels of the dual-line directory number), an octo-line directory number can split its channels among other phones that share the directory number. All phones are allowed to initiate or receive calls on the idle channels of the shared octo-line directory number.

Because octo-line directory numbers do not require a different ephone-dn for each active call, one octo-line directory number can handle multiple calls. Multiple incoming calls to an octo-line directory number ring simultaneously. After a phone answers a call, the ringing stops on that phone and the call-waiting tone plays for the other incoming calls. When phones share an octo-line directory number, incoming calls ring on phones without active calls and these phones can answer any of the ringing calls. Phones with an active call hear the call-waiting tone.

After a phone answers an incoming call, the answering phone is in the connected state. Other phones that share the octo-line directory number are in the remote-in-use state.

After a connected call on an octo-line directory number is put on-hold, any phone that shares this directory number can pick up the held call. If a phone user is in the process of initiating a call transfer or creating a conference, the call is locked and other phones that share the octo-line directory number cannot steal the call.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmebasic.html#wpxref93951

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Grant,

Sadly, that is exactly how "Shared" Dual-Lines work

Have you looked into upgrading CME to 4.3/7.0 that offers this new feature. I think it would offer the functionality you desire;

Octo-Line

An octo-line directory number supports up to eight active calls, both incoming and outgoing, on a single phone button. Unlike a dual-line directory number, which is shared exclusively among phones (after a call is answered, that phone owns both channels of the dual-line directory number), an octo-line directory number can split its channels among other phones that share the directory number. All phones are allowed to initiate or receive calls on the idle channels of the shared octo-line directory number.

Because octo-line directory numbers do not require a different ephone-dn for each active call, one octo-line directory number can handle multiple calls. Multiple incoming calls to an octo-line directory number ring simultaneously. After a phone answers a call, the ringing stops on that phone and the call-waiting tone plays for the other incoming calls. When phones share an octo-line directory number, incoming calls ring on phones without active calls and these phones can answer any of the ringing calls. Phones with an active call hear the call-waiting tone.

After a phone answers an incoming call, the answering phone is in the connected state. Other phones that share the octo-line directory number are in the remote-in-use state.

After a connected call on an octo-line directory number is put on-hold, any phone that shares this directory number can pick up the held call. If a phone user is in the process of initiating a call transfer or creating a conference, the call is locked and other phones that share the octo-line directory number cannot steal the call.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmebasic.html#wpxref93951

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thank you! Helps alot.

Yes, we have considered moving to a new version. I guess we'll have to do that very soon.

Regards,

Grant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: