Nokia Call Connect and CUCME 7.1

Unanswered Question
Jun 18th, 2010

Good day!!!

Does anyone have working configuration of Nokia E71 with Nokia Call Connect 1.1 integrated to CCME 7.1?

As I've understood CUCME is supported with Nokia Call Connect 1.1 only.

Regards,

Pavel

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.3 (12 ratings)
Aaron Harrison Fri, 06/18/2010 - 02:15

Hi

Yeah, you can use it with CME> v1.0 emulates a 7960; v1.1 emulates a 7970.

I believe all you need to do is set up an ephone with a single DN and then configure the phone client.

I've used it with various versions of CCM, but not with CME; principles will be the same I guess.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...    

paveltoleon Fri, 06/18/2010 - 02:25

Dear Aaron,

thank you for prompt reply!

Ok, I will try!

Then goes another question. I need to run Nokia Mobile VPN to access my CME and make calls like I would be using Cisco IP Communicator while I'm travelling. Right?

Pavel

Aaron Harrison Fri, 06/18/2010 - 02:33

Hi

There is no VPN client built into Call Connect, so yes, you would need some form of connectivity to the office. I've only deployed it over WLAN, but subject to all the usual VPN requirements (full two-way routing etc) and restrictions (no QoS over the web/mobile network) there's no reason I can see why it can't work...

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from to help identify useful content in the forums...
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

paveltoleon Fri, 06/18/2010 - 02:45

Thanks again!

Yes, I realise that I will need certain VPN client and Nokia release Nokia Mobile VPN client. In case you've deployed it I would appreciate to see config.

For my laptop I use standard Cisco VPN Client.

Pavel

paveltoleon Sun, 06/20/2010 - 23:49

Dear Aaron,

sorry it is my first time on this site. I didn't understand what to do, so it was my mistake.

I will ask administrator to correct it.

Pavel

Aaron Harrison Mon, 06/21/2010 - 00:32

Hi Pavel

Well - the documentation for this product is not great, but as I understand it versions newer than 1.1 may not be CME compatible as they require the COP file adding to CCM to enable a new device Nokia device type. V1.1 emulates a Cisco phone, so no COP file is required, and therefore it works on CME. This is why the Nokia site (http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/nokia-call-connect-for-cisco/compatibility-and-download) has v1.1 and v2.1 available for download.

As it emulates a Cisco phone, it will most likely work fine with newer versions of CME. It would be similar to running a version of CME with older phone firmware - generally it works, but new features probably won't work, and you may get odd functionality differences or failures.

The best way to find out how well this works would be to install the client on a phone and test it yourself - you can download the SIS file, and if your phone has web connectivity you can enable a trial period that lasts for 30 or 60 days (can't remember which). This will give you plenty of time to see whether it works well, and whether it gives you the functionality you need.

Regards

Aaron

paveltoleon Mon, 06/21/2010 - 00:41

Well, thank you once again, Aaron!

In the nearest time will try to make text and revert with latest info.

Do you mind to check the config if I will have some doubts?

Pavel

paveltoleon Fri, 07/02/2010 - 07:44

Dear Aaron,

I've added E71 as to CME config you've told, but no luck. Seems that phone is not even trying to register!

ephone  15

device-security-mode none

mac-address 0011.2233.4455

max-calls-per-button 3

busy-trigger-per-button 1

type 7970

button  1:15

I use Nokia Call Connect 1.1. Аt first I turn on VPN connection with gateway (just to be sure I make a ping to the ip address that phone automatically receives - it goes well)

Then I go to SCCP Setting to add Access Point and TFTP Server, but status of profile stays "Not registered"

What kind of problem it can be?

Pavel

paveltoleon Sun, 07/11/2010 - 23:55

I've managed to fix problem, it was minor problem of E71 setting that I've missed.

Do you know by any chance if Nokia E72 support Nokia Call Connect 1.1.3?

Aaron Harrison Mon, 07/12/2010 - 02:50

Hi Pavel

Good to hear you have it fixed... I took some leave and missed your earlier question...

Not sure about E72s, I would expect it to work as it's a fairly similar model to the E71 as on the supported list in the release notes, but there's no guarantee. We don't use Nokias any more at our place so it's been some time...

Regards

Aaron

paveltoleon Mon, 07/12/2010 - 03:34

Hi Aaron,

E71 is running S60v3.1 platform and E72 has S60v3.2, that is why I'm asking.

Well, then I guess there is only one way, get it and check.

Pavel

paveltoleon Wed, 08/11/2010 - 02:21

Hello Aaron,

My experience showed that Nokia Call Connect 2.0 only works on E72.

There are two sides of this issue:

1. I've managed to registed Nokia on CME, phone received extention number.

2. I cannot place outgowing call (phone is showing dialing process and there is complete silence) and when I'm calling to my E72 from another extention number from my desktop I hear busy signal.

Any ideas?

What debug I can start to see what is happening?

Pavel

Aaron Harrison Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:15

Hi Pavel

Not really - have you tried using a non-octo line? I.e. keep things simple?

As far as I've seen v2.0 isn't listed as supported for CME, so it may simply not work.

Aaron

paveltoleon Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:25

Aaron,

will try to use non-octo line.

The funny thing it is almost working, registering, placing calls... but I hear no sounds.

I could imagine it wouldn't register at all, but things are not that bad and I want to keep on trying.

Maybe debug could help? What debug I need to start to see if any problems occur?

Pavel

bvanturn Fri, 08/13/2010 - 09:16

This should be the way to set this up

For CME 4.2 and earlier

• Add it as a 7970 phone

ephone 1
mac-address aaaa.bbbb.cccc
type 7970
button 1:1

For CME 4.3 and later

• First Device a new device type:

ephone-type  nokia
device-id 376
device-name nokia Mobile Phone

• Next add your device with that type as an ephone under the telephony-service:

ephone 1
mac-address aaaa.bbbb.cccc
type nokia
button 1:1

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 08/19/2010 - 02:11

Nokia Call Connect 2.1 is not supported on the CME, consequently an E72 that only supports 2.1, cannot work with CME.

paveltoleon Thu, 08/19/2010 - 02:19

Hello,

have you read my posts above?

E72 is registering and placing call, but I cannot hear any sounds, so I suppose there are some minor mistakes in my config.

Pavel

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 08/19/2010 - 02:23

have you read my posts above?

E72 is registering and placing call, but I cannot hear any sounds, so I suppose there are some minor mistakes in my config.

I have read all this thread, and you are supposing wrong

The phone does not work because it is not supported, and you are having the expected results. Same as another colleague that I know.

Unsupported things do work sometime and do not other times. This is one of the latter.

If and when Cisco and Nokia will decide to support Call Connector 2.1 on CME, the phone will work.

paveltoleon Thu, 08/19/2010 - 02:53

Well, it is quite disappointing truth, but that was my choise to try it

Anyway E71 is woking perfect, so will use it instead!

In my opinion it is very strange to limit new phone model such as E72 with its' functionality in terms of integtation with CME which many smaller companies use.

Paolo Bevilacqua Thu, 08/19/2010 - 02:59

Consider yourself fortunate, at least you have one phone model working.

CME users with Iphone, Blackberry, Android, only have the choice to upgrade to CUCM / CUMA to get them integrated.

Meaning many thousand of dollars for something very simple instead.

Is not surprising that Cisco shows no plans to bring true Mobile to CME, on the other hand we often have new great features from CME, so let's keep hoping.

Fortunately most of these phones can be made work as SIP for basic calls and VPN.

paveltoleon Thu, 08/19/2010 - 03:19

Yes, indeed, I've made E71 complete business instrument with Mail for Exchange synchronizing to Exchange server, SIP is functioning perfect too and connection to CME is made over VPN. The great thing is that connection is very stable even with poor WiFi signal.

This wasn't enough for me so I've started to try it with E72, but failed as you can see.

The person from Cisco instructed to add new device type instead of emulating 7970, so I thought it would solve my problem, that is why I was hoping there will be breakthrough.

LBS-BZ-HI Mon, 11/08/2010 - 23:29

hi,

have you some news? is there something going on to support the E72 (i have E5 Phones with Nokia CC v2 - and CUCME7.0)
does it work with CUCME 8.x?

thanks!

paveltoleon Sun, 08/15/2010 - 23:52

Well situation moved to the better, but now I'm experiencing few other problems.

See below my attempts and results:

1. When I dial local ext. at the office from E72 ext. number, I see the phone ringing.

2. When I dial E72 ext. number from my desktop phone ext. I see the phone ringing.

3. When I pick up phone to start conversation I hear NO sound both directions at all.

4. When I try to redial E72 ext. number from my desktop phone ext. I see E72 show NO signs of incoming call in spite desktop is sending call.

5. When I  try to redial local ext. at the office from E72 ext. number, I desktop phone is not ringing.

After I restart the E72 same things are happening again.

Please see below part of config in case I've missed something:

ephone  19

mac-address AAAA.BBBB.CCCC

max-calls-per-button 3

type nokia

button  1:19

ephone-dn  19 octo-line

number 1019

pickup-group 1

label Phone 19

name Phone 19

ephone-type  nokia

device-id 376

device-name nokia Mobile Phone

num-buttons 1

max-presentation 1

paveltoleon Sat, 08/14/2010 - 00:23

Dear Bvanturn,

Thank you for your reply!

To avoid misunderstandings, at the beginning I've tried to connect Nokia E71 with installed Nokia Call Connect 1.1 to CME 7.1 and it worked well.

Now I'm trying to make Nokia E72 with installed Nokia Call Connect 2.0 working on same CME 7.1. The phone was registered using device type 7970 (first option you've mentioned), but call doesn't go through both ways.

As per documentation Nokia Call Connect 2.0 is not supported by CUCME, only by CUCM.

Will try to make as per second option you've mention and report shortly.

Pavel

Aaron Harrison Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:33

Hi

That's what makes me think of theh line - a shot in the dark really; but since it otherwise works it may just be that the octo-line is giving it 8 lines to choose from, and it's picking the wrong one in some way...

Regards

paveltoleon Wed, 08/18/2010 - 00:59

Aaron,

I've made it this way and tried:

ephone  19

mac-address AAAA.BBBB.CCCC

max-calls-per-button 3

type nokia

button  1:19

ephone-dn  19 dual-line

number 1019

pickup-group 1

label Phone 19

name Phone 19

Same story, phones are ringing both ways, but once the call is picked up to sounds.

I make redial, but phones doesn't show incoming calls.

Don't you think debug will show anything?

Pavel

Actions

This Discussion