Views
Helpful
Replies

Prepositioning Files in Edge WAEs

guzman.barrio
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Michael and Joe,

I have some question about preposition of files in remote WAEs.  All my WAEs have version 4.1.5f and there is a 274 like CM, a 674 like Central WAE and WAE-502 in 2811 like remote WAEs.  There are 20 remote sites.

1) What is the total amount of space available in the remote WAEs to preposition of files in the CIFS caché?  I had read that the space in the CIFS caché is used for preposition of files and normal operation indistinctly but when I chequed the space in the GUI of the remote WAE I found that it was much less than the total reserved for obj1 (I have a WAE-502 with 45GB of CIFS caché and I view only 25GB for preposition).

2) I created a Preposition Directive to test the performance of the feature and I reserved 5% of the Total Cache Volume in the remote WAE for it.  I wanted to transfer an amount of data greater than the space reserved to vies if the remote WAE erased the old file to make space for the new data.  I had read that if there is no enough space in the caché to finish the preposition the remote WAE deletes the old files in a FIFO order to make room for new ones but this didn't work, I'm wrong about this point?

3) Is there a way to change the values for the variables Cache size high watermark and Cache size low watermark?  I want to set them to a different value but I can't find the place to make the change.

4) And finally, what are the charts to include in a tipical report to have a brief view of the solution?

Thanks for your time and help,

Guzmán

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mhollowa
Level 1
Level 1

Guzmán

1) What is the total amount of space available in the remote WAEs to preposition of files in the CIFS caché?  I had read that the space in the CIFS caché is used for preposition of files and normal operation indistinctly but when I chequed the space in the GUI of the remote WAE I found that it was much less than the total reserved for obj1 (I have a WAE-502 with 45GB of CIFS caché and I view only 25GB for preposition).

MH- WAAS does not reserve disk space for PP job.  You can schedule a % of the CIFS disk space for it to use and it will not exceed that amount.

2) I created a Preposition Directive to test the performance of the feature and I reserved 5% of the Total Cache Volume in the remote WAE for it.  I wanted to transfer an amount of data greater than the space reserved to vies if the remote WAE erased the old file to make space for the new data.  I had read that if there is no enough space in the caché to finish the preposition the remote WAE deletes the old files in a FIFO order to make room for new ones but this didn't work, I'm wrong about this point?

MH- If there is less space available then the configured %, eviction should kick in and start purging older files.  If the rate file incoming is faster then the eviction rate, then the PP task would finish with sime files missing.

3) Is there a way to change the values for the variables Cache size high watermark and Cache size low watermark?  I want to set them to a different value but I can't find the place to make the change. 

MH- These are fixed values.

4) And finally, what are the charts to include in a tipical report to have a brief view of the solution?

MH- Not sure what you are looking for here.

Michael

View solution in original post

Guzman,

1. You are correct that the partition "/obj1" is used for CIFS cache, but it also stores the DB for the meta data and other CIFS related info.  To see the actual size available to the CIFS cache, use the local GUI under CIFS AO / Monitoring / Cache.

Michael

There is no specific recommendation from Cisco as to what charts to put into a report that I am aware of.  There are a variety of charts that can help you show return on investment.  The most significant of those are displayed in the Dashboard when you first bring up the CM GUI.  Those same charts can be included in reports that are collected at scheduled times.

4 Replies 4

mhollowa
Level 1
Level 1

Guzmán

MH- WAAS does not reserve disk space for PP job.  You can schedule a % of the CIFS disk space for it to use and it will not exceed that amount.

MH- If there is less space available then the configured %, eviction should kick in and start purging older files.  If the rate file incoming is faster then the eviction rate, then the PP task would finish with sime files missing.

MH- These are fixed values.

MH- Not sure what you are looking for here.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Let me refraise question 1

On the WAE-502 if I issue the command show disk details the total CIFS Cache is of 45GB (/obj1).  But when I configured a PP job and assigned the 5% it turned out that the PP job stopped at 1.27GB and not at 2.4GB (5% of 45GB). Is it correct to asume the /obj1 is the total amount available for CIFS Cache? If this is not correct where can I view the CIFS cache size as to crrectly calculate de %.

With regards to questions 2 and 3. Thats totaly clear.

With regards to question 4 Is there any recomendation of Cisco as of what are the typical charts to place in a report. We are trying to show the costumer the benefits of the solution.

Regards,

Guzman

Guzman,

1. You are correct that the partition "/obj1" is used for CIFS cache, but it also stores the DB for the meta data and other CIFS related info.  To see the actual size available to the CIFS cache, use the local GUI under CIFS AO / Monitoring / Cache.

Michael

There is no specific recommendation from Cisco as to what charts to put into a report that I am aware of.  There are a variety of charts that can help you show return on investment.  The most significant of those are displayed in the Dashboard when you first bring up the CM GUI.  Those same charts can be included in reports that are collected at scheduled times.