cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are there SFP+ Transceviers that can be removed without first removing the optical cable?

ckellyusa
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any SFP+ Transceviers that can be removed from the switch/device without first requiring the disconnection of the optical cable or copper cable?

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nope.  The locks are there to prevent the SFP from dislodging itself.  Plus the heat from the switch will cause the metal to expand further "locking" the SFP+ firmly.

Thank you for the reply.  I understand what you are saying and I would like a few more details.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps4999/products_tech_note09186a00807a30d6.shtml

On that page, Cisco lists three different types of latches.

SFP transceiver with a Mylar tab latch.

SFP transceiver with an actuator button           latch.

SFP transceiver that has a bale-clasp           latch.

Now with the bale-clasp latch, I can understand having to remove the fiber first, but the other two look as though it might be possible.  Is there an addtional mechnism inside the transceiver that is engaged when the cable is inserted further securing everything?

Thanks again.

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Now the question that I'm curious about.... "What is requiring you to want or need to not remove the cables"?

Thanx!

Eh, it's not so much requiring us to do that, but it would be very helpful if we could...  The idea would be to cap the fiber ends, or "permanently" join them to the transceivers so the lens will not become exposed to any environment increasing the chances for contaminations thus requiring us the clean them.  We're kind of lazy in that regard

I can understand your want.  Anything to make it faster, easier and reduces the potential for dirty connectors (a real problem with optical transport)

Looking at the MSA hardware design specs, it doesn't indicate if the SFP hoop (or tab) actually releases a latch or just provides a grab point and additional leverage to that latch slides out of its mooring.  It probably is possible to remove the SFP without removing the connectors, seeing the Cisco documentation calls out that you should not remove the SFP without taking the connectors out first.

I don't know with you, but I'm currently using Cisco SFP+ (manufactured by EXCELIGHT) and they seem to be locked in firmly (not like the SFP, bah!).