Views
Helpful
Replies

521g Access Point - Initial Configuration Help

nik.opalenik
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help, with what I hope is an easy problem. 

We recently purchased an Aironet 521G Access Point.  I cannot connect to this thing to configure it at all.  Ive tried the browser, I've tried the Configuration Assistant (ver 2.2), and everything says it cannot connect.

I have consoled into it, and can see it has an IP Address via DHCP.  I can even ping that, but that is all.  Unfortunately from what I've read for the past two days, I cannot program the AP via the CLI.  I've tried a bunch of things from other posts, but no joy.

Can someone please throw me a few hints here?  Could it be a faulty AP?

I'm very well versed in Cisco and feel like a fool for not being able to access a simple AP.

Thanks in advance!

-Nik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nik,

If the unit is a  LAP521 you will need a WLC526 for this AP to work (see label on the back for Model number).

If the unit is a AP521 and you don't have access to the GUI, sure sounds like a dud.

If the unit is under smatnet coverage or Warranty (90 days) coverage call traditional Cisco TAC via the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html#numbers

You might try the following;

Step 0. Plug console cable in.

Step 1. Power cycle the device

Step 2. Send a "break" command to the device within the first 60 seconds after power cycle. Hit "Control /Break"

Step 3. From the ROM monitor prompt, set the configuration register value to 0x142. This causes the device to bypass the configuration contents stored in NVRAM upon next bootup. To do this, type:

> confreg 0x142

Step 4. Once the configuration register has been changed, initialize and reboot the device by typing the following:

> reset

The device will reboot itself.

Step 5. After the device boots up, you will be prompted if you want to enter the initial configuration dialog. Type: "y" for yes.

follow the prompts and see where this gets you the default userid and password should be "Cisco"

regards Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Nik,

If the unit is a  LAP521 you will need a WLC526 for this AP to work (see label on the back for Model number).

If the unit is a AP521 and you don't have access to the GUI, sure sounds like a dud.

If the unit is under smatnet coverage or Warranty (90 days) coverage call traditional Cisco TAC via the following URL;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_worldwide_contacts.html#numbers

You might try the following;

Step 0. Plug console cable in.

Step 1. Power cycle the device

Step 2. Send a "break" command to the device within the first 60 seconds after power cycle. Hit "Control /Break"

Step 3. From the ROM monitor prompt, set the configuration register value to 0x142. This causes the device to bypass the configuration contents stored in NVRAM upon next bootup. To do this, type:

> confreg 0x142

Step 4. Once the configuration register has been changed, initialize and reboot the device by typing the following:

> reset

The device will reboot itself.

Step 5. After the device boots up, you will be prompted if you want to enter the initial configuration dialog. Type: "y" for yes.

follow the prompts and see where this gets you the default userid and password should be "Cisco"

regards Dave

Thank you very much for the response, Dave.

We did in fact order the wrong model number...RMA'ing it and just ordered the AP521G this morning.  Makes me feel better that it wasn't me, just the wrong equipment.

Thank you again.

-Nik