Captive portal for guest access

Unanswered Question

I have the Cisco 2106 WLC and the Cisco 802.11a/b/g LWAP. I'm trying to use these devices to setup a guest hot spot. I would like to use WiFiDog so guest can setup an account to use the internet. I'm not very experienced with wireless and having a lot of trouble finding guides to help. So I was hoping to find someone on here with more experience. Using WiFiDog as the captive portal is not really a necessity but I would like something that is open source and free for non commercial use.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rollin Kibbe Wed, 08/18/2010 - 10:18

Hi Derrick:

Back in the day, shortly after Cisco acquired Airespace, the Airespace branded products included a layer 2 security mode that facilitated communication with third party captive portal products like Cranite's Wireless Wall.  As the functionality of web auth has been enhanced over time, those other security modes have dropped away.  I doubt you're going to find much from Cisco on how to integrate with competitive products on proper.  I would think that if WiFiDog is going to do all the username checking and account maintenance, it would be just inline upstream from the 2106 and the 2106 would be configured pretty wide open.

Rollin Kibbe

Network Management Systems Team

This Discussion