Hello. I just purchased a 1941 and it's running...
Cisco IOS Software, C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M2
I've been reading up on the 1941 and this new Major software release. I do, however, have some questions that I hope someone can help me with.
1. Is the IOS command-set slightly different in Release 15 than say Release 12?
2. To be specific, I'm trying to Add VLAN's, set ports up for 802.1Q Trunking, etc... but running into some road-blocks. Is the "switchport" command no longer availble in Release 15?
3. I created VLAN ID's within the VLAN Database like we did in previous release. Good so far. But, why can't I create vlan interfaces to apply my IP Addresses, etc...?
Many thanks for your help.
1. 15.0 IOS commands are same as 12.X IOS commands. Only new supported feature commands are added but same commands from 12.X are supported.
2. "Switchport" command is only available under ETHERSWITCH Module port, not router port. If router doesn't recognize "switchport" command, it means it is routed port. This is same behavior on 12.X or 15.X IOS.
You need Etherswitch module like, Cisco EtherSwitch 4- and 9-Port High-Speed WAN Interface Cards.
3. If you doesn't have any switch module, you can't create SVI interface. (Vlan interface with ip address).
Sh inventory or sh diag will show current installed modules on your router.