Views
Helpful
Replies

Can Ping, but cannot Telnet

faizal_vi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have recently configured a cisco 2811 router for the client.It is CME and is having a a VPN connection to a remote office. All the thing which I configured is working perfectly.

The fast ethernet 0/0 is with a Public IP. I can ping this IP from outside networks, but I cant telnet it. I have attached the config of the same router.Appreciate your commets on this.

Faizal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In ACL nat-acl change:

permit ip any any

to:

permit ip 10.132.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

Note: you do no need vpnd configuration for pppoe client.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Base on the configuration, I don't see a reason why telnet would not work from the Internet. Where are you trying to telnet from? Could it be firewall that might be blocking telnet traffic?

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In ACL nat-acl change:

permit ip any any

to:

permit ip 10.132.1.0 0.0.0.255 any

Note: you do no need vpnd configuration for pppoe client.

canakweze
Level 1
Level 1

faizal_vi,

I dont see anywhere you defined access list pointing to the public ip address you are trying to telnet from. I do suggest you use http://whatismyipaddress.com/ to find out your public ip address. In that case you only allow access to a specific ip address instead of all traffic. for example if your public ip address is 68.205.201.70, you will just need to add the following to your config file.

access-list 2 permit 68.205.201.70

line vty 0 4
access-class 2 in

line vty 5 15
access-class 2 in

Hope this works for you

No, the problem is tjat you cannot use ip any any in NAT ACL, as I have explained above.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: