cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 877w IOS installation & configuration.

wangkiantjun
Level 1
Level 1

i am out of idea even i search many info from google search. problem is like this.

i newly upgraded my cisco 877w both memory. when using telnet to connect to router, i don't know what is exact ip address, subnet mask and more for the router. i install tftp server which using very old edtion of cisco tftp server & & the tftp server root directory i browse the directory where the cisco IOS file locate & which display the ip address of 192.168.1.3.

even i type help, i don't know which command is starting first. i search other forum, which starting "router> enable". i even can't get that.

now i want install the cisco IOS, what should i do.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I see the problem now.

Your 877w does not have a valid IOS image to boot from, thus your router does not accept any command because it have no "operating system".

Your router enters in ROMmon mode and you are unable to issue any IOS command. You have to upload a valid IOS image for your router trough the xmodem method described here:

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

This is not a specific guideline for 877w but may be you can use this method to fix your problem.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Hello,

Asuming you have a valid IOS image on flash yet. Can you try this, please?

set boot-action=flash
set file-name=
set ios-conf=0x2102
save
boot

Good luck

Hello,

You are already in the configure mode. So, you do not need to enter

"configure terminal" again.

Regards,

NT

43 Replies 43

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

How are you connecting to the router? Are you using the console port to

connect to the router? You need to connect the console port to the I/O port

(serial) of your workstation.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/tasks/task_console_port_con

nect.htm

Once you connect to the router via console, you need to set an IP on one of

the ports. Then connect the Ethernet of your PC to appropriate port (where

you assigned the IP), change the PC IP to the same range as interface IP and

then check the connectivity (you can ping each other. Sometimes, the PC

might not respond if you have firewall on the PC. Turn of PC firewall). Once

you have verified the connectivity, now you can upload the image.

http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/task_ios_upgrade.htm

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

as you say just now,

"connect the Ethernet of your PC to appropriate port (where you assigned the IP), change the PC IP to the same range as interface IP and then check the connectivity."

the ip for the ethernet port is assigned by another of router which not cisco by using dhcp & that is indirect related to cisco router. so it will auto assign for the pc's ip. this statement,

"change the PC IP to the same range as interface IP and then check the connectivity."

i not so understand & have to remember i using another router to connect internet & i already connect the cisco router using telnet.

Hi,

Really it is a true bad idea to have a router with a dynamic IP, you would configure the interface of the router Cisco with a fixed IP in the same subnet as your PCs. If you are using two routers, one on the WAN side and another for the LAN side to strenghten the security, the best aproach is to have all your connectivity equipement with fixed IPs and route the traffic accordingly.

But if to have a dynamic IP on your router is mandatory, you would connect through the console port and a serial cable, as stated before by a board coleague.

Good luck.

i using second statement as you say before.

"But if to have a dynamic IP on your router is mandatory, you would connect through the console port and a serial cable."

once connect the cisco router through console port & serial cable by using telnet, but, how to set the cisco ip address, subnet mask & so on? what command i should use friest? i search some forum, i following the steps, it cannot help me.

so i lag of idea to start.

HI,

So, it looks like you have below topology.

Internet router-----------FE4 877Router FE0~3-----------PC

1. FE4 is WAN interface we call and it is normal to be configured to get IP from DHCP server.

2. FE0~FE3 is switch module port and they belong to vlan 1 by default and interface Vlan 1 has ip address assigned.

Have you tried to connect router through console port? (Using blue cable that comes with 877 router and plug into your PC's serial port)

If yes, you are seeing "routername>" prompt. routername is your router name.

Just type "show ip int brief".

You will see output like below, vlan1 is your router's internal network IP address.

sjc-kyukim-871#sh ip int b

Interface                  IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol

FastEthernet0              unassigned      YES unset  down                  down   

FastEthernet1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up     

FastEthernet2              unassigned      YES unset  down                  down   

FastEthernet3              unassigned      YES unset  down                  down   

FastEthernet4              192.168.1.66    YES DHCP   up                    up     

Dot11Radio0                unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up     

Dot11Radio0.1              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up     

Dot11Radio0.2              unassigned      YES unset  up                    up     

Vlan1                      unassigned      YES NVRAM  up                    up     

BVI1                       10.19.2.145     YES NVRAM  up                    up

If you don't see no ip address configured for Vlan 1, you can configure as below

router>enable  --> going to enable mode, it will ask password.

router#config t

router(config)#int vlan 1

router(if-config)#ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.0  -->x.x.x.x is subnet you would like to config.

Please read below link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/800/850/software/configuration/guide/857sg_bk.pdf

This is very detail configuration guide for 87X routers.

KK

KK.

"FE4 is WAN interface we call and it is normal to be configured to get IP from DHCP server."

as you mention before, FE4 is WAN interface, which using rj-11 port. but DHCP server (another router), is assigned to my pc by using rj-45 port to my network interface card. so basically it can't attach.

"Have you tried to connect router through console port? (Using blue  cable that comes with 877 router and plug into your PC's serial port. If yes,"

yes. i connected my cisco router by using console cable to my pc which using serial-usb converter. when i using telnet, it give respond. but it write "no boot file in flash."

"  "routername>" prompt. routername is your router name. " where can i find my router name? i don't know exactly by default what name is set for the router name. example like c870, or 870, or c877 or, 877. which is the correct router name? which i don't know exactly the name. by using what command i can check the exact router name.

once if i found out the router name, i just type: " "show ip int brief".", correct?

melladoosra
Level 1
Level 1

How experianced are you with cisco gear ? You cannot telnet into a router if the router has no enable password set.

You need to connect to the router using the console port, go in and set an enable secret password.

Do a show ip interface brief to see your interfaces and their IP addresses and if they are up or down.

Then go under the interface and set an IP and subnet mask and issue a no shutdown to bring up the interface.

i can connect the cisco router & is connected through telnet. once i connected, i don't know which command i should starting first.

"go in and set an enable secret password. Do a show ip interface brief to see your interfaces and their IP addresses and if they are up or down. Then go under the interface and set an IP and subnet mask and issue a no shutdown to bring up the interface."

this statement how to set the secret password by using command. i using help command, there are a list of command, but which is the correct command & set the secret password.

melladoosra
Level 1
Level 1

Go under global config mode and type enable secret
word>

router(config)#enable secret

even i type exact the command which you type:

"router(config)#enable secret "

it say:

"router(config)" not correct. i mean there is no command for this"router(config)" at inside the telnet.

even i type "c870(config)", still the same answer. i know "router" is stand for router name, but which exact router name i should type in before "(config)".

Sorry if this is not clear enough

"" is the prompt, you do not need write this

You don't need type in any router name too...

The standard procedure is to issue the following sentences, this is you must write in to the console/telnet and only this...

enable

configure terminal

enable secret

The prompt will change depending on the sentences issued to the router to tell you the state. When you tell "enable" to the router you are entering in privileged mode and the prompt will change to #, When you issue the "configure terminal" sentence you are telling the router you want enter in configuration mode from the current session, and the prompt will change to (config)#. You will write all after this command prompt, it is as C:\> in MS-DOS.

i even type:

enable

configure terminal

enable secret

even just type command "enable", it say: command "enable" not found.

Hello,

Then something is very wrong in your router. Can you issue the "show version" command?.

the following upload which i type the command "enable".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card