How to handle wireless security with employee turnover

Unanswered Question
Aug 17th, 2010

Hello all, just wondering if someone could assist with a dilemma we have.  We currently have wireless security at our facility that does authentication with an ACS server.  Each wireless device is used by many people (who do not know how to setup wireless) so we in IT setup the wireless security with a specific username for each device but the same password for all on the ACS so as to make it easier on IT to be able to work.  There are many devices (200 or so), so changing the passwords on all of the devices is a large burden on IT when someone in IT leaves.  Does anyone have a suggestion on what would allow for easier management of security when we have employee turnover?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
RON ROWETON Fri, 08/20/2010 - 10:48

Thank you for the reply, I looked up the RSA solution but one thing I could not find is if the wireless authentication using the RSA device is just a onetime authentication or do you need the RSA device everything the machine boots?  Unfortunately we have more than 2000 users for the 200 machines and the RSA device management may be too much if we have to assign one to all users.

Leo Laohoo Fri, 08/20/2010 - 18:44

How about during the creation of the password, you have a generic password, like "password" and enable the password must be changed upon first login.

The most important thing about ACS is the cooperation between HR and the people who manage and maintain ACS.  I mean, if the person has left the services of the company then the username needs to be disabled immediately.  This, unfortunately, is one of the biggest security risks in modern organization.

This Discussion

Related Content

Trending Topics - Security & Network