cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip gratuitous-arps

huangedmc
Level 3
Level 3

Is "ip gratuitous-arps" enabled on the switches/routers by default? (specifically Cat 6500's)

We're moving some SVI's from a switch to another one.

Since the servers will have the old ARP/MAC cached in their arp table, we'd like to figure out a way to make the servers learn the new ARP/MAC entry for their default gateway w/o manually clearing arp cache on each server.

Would the switches send gratuitous-arps out to inform the servers of the move of the new SVI's?

I found another thread about gratuitous-arp, but it has no mention of what I'm looking for:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2000695

5 Replies 5

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

No, this command is not enabled by default. here's a good link where you

can see the behavior of enabling this command depending upon the address pool ( local-

no local ).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipaddr/command/reference/iad_arp.html#wp1013090

thanks

Manish

thanks for the reply.

I looked at the page you provided; it's useful, but it's for router / WAN scenario...it mentions the address pool and clients that connect via PPP...

My scenario is a bit different - servers connected on the LAN.

Would the switch still send out gratuitous-arps to advertise the new SVI?

I think if you enable ip gratitious-arp on the  svi on the new switch, it will send the that arp packet to the connected hosts to update their Cache Entry for that IP address - basic gratitious arp defination. But if i was you , i would still test it in a test set up  before making changes in the production network.

Thanks

Manish

Hi,

If you are moving your SVI to different switch and want to update all servers/hosts's ARP cache, you can simply issue "clear arp" on switch.

This command will clear arp-chche on router/switch but also send out ARP Request as broadcast with its own mac address and IP address as source.

R2#clear arp-cache int f0/0  --> you can specify which interface you want to clear arp.

R2#

*Aug 17 21:01:10.754: ARP: flushing ARP entries for interface FastEthernet0/0

*Aug 17 21:01:10.754: IP ARP: sent rep src 10.1.34.4 0021.d8fd.d040,

dst 10.1.34.4 ffff.ffff.ffff FastEthernet0/0

This is very useful to refresh your router or switch MAC address to all hosts in same subnet.

KK

Hello,

I didn't know about this. Wonderful! Thank you for sharing this knowledge with us!

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card