cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA Failover

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I want to use and dedicate the Management interfaces on 2 ASAs to enable failover.  I'm wondering if I can make the interfaces both the failover interface and stateful interface.  Looking at some examples, the 2 tend to be different interfaces, some logical and some physical.  If I have a failover interface named failover,

ASA(config)#failover lan interface failover Management0/0

ASA(config)#failover interface ip failover 10.1.0.1 255.255.255.0 standby 10.1.0.2

Can I also use the same interface for the stateful?

ASA(config)#failover link failover Management0/0

ASA(config)#failover int ip state 10.1.0.1 255.255.255.0 standby 10.1.0.2

or would the previous failover interface be overwritten?

thank you,

Bill

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

You can share the interface if you'd like. This is mentioned in the ASA Configuration Guide under the "Stateful Failover Link" section:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/ha_overview.html#wp1077551

If you are using LAN-based failover, you can share the failover link.

You didn't mention what model ASA you have, but keep in mind that if you have a 5580, the management interface's speed isn't sufficient enough for stateful failover, per the same link above:

Use the following failover interface speed guidelines for the adaptive security appliances:

Cisco ASA 5510

Stateful link speed can be 100 Mbps, even though the data interface can operate at 1 Gigabit due to the CPU speed limitation.

Cisco ASA 5520/5540/5550

Stateful link speed should match the fastest data link.

Cisco ASA 5580

Use only non-management 1 Gigabit ports for the stateful link because management ports have lower performance and cannot meet the performance requirement for stateful failover.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bill,

You can share the interface if you'd like. This is mentioned in the ASA Configuration Guide under the "Stateful Failover Link" section:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/configuration/guide/ha_overview.html#wp1077551

If you are using LAN-based failover, you can share the failover link.

You didn't mention what model ASA you have, but keep in mind that if you have a 5580, the management interface's speed isn't sufficient enough for stateful failover, per the same link above:

Use the following failover interface speed guidelines for the adaptive security appliances:

Cisco ASA 5510

Stateful link speed can be 100 Mbps, even though the data interface can operate at 1 Gigabit due to the CPU speed limitation.

Cisco ASA 5520/5540/5550

Stateful link speed should match the fastest data link.

Cisco ASA 5580

Use only non-management 1 Gigabit ports for the stateful link because management ports have lower performance and cannot meet the performance requirement for stateful failover.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

It's a 5510, so it looks good.  Thank you Mike.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card