cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Management

focused
Level 1
Level 1

This is something I wanted to bring up to the forum to see if there was any interest in this.  I'd like to see the ability to utilize the IBM Remote Management Card or the HP iLO card.  These cards allow the ability to power on and off a server without someone needing to do it remotely.  I know the IBM cards VERY well because the hardware Cisco uses for the WAE-7341’s and WAE-674's (and probably others) are IBM x3650 servers which is what we use for our file servers in the branch offices.  The only difference is the server is rebranded on the outside.  This feature I’d say is critical as we often do not have IT Staff in our remote offices and the ability to access the server via this card while the server is down or powered off is crucial.  I've even seen the HP branded WAE's have the iLo port active and you can hit the webpage for it. 

I think one thing Cisco needs to understand with this equipment is that it's server based hardware which has a much higher failure rate than your typical switch/router hardware which has a fan and that’s it for moving parts (more solid state).  Not only does this remote card allow remote access to the server while it’s down but it provides great alerting and monitoring which can then e-mail out if there is a predictive hard drive failure or any other hardware failure. 

This needs to be supported I feel.  I'm sure we could just go out and buy the IBM RMU cards and plug them in without any issue however this should be a supported feature and a nominal cost.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You probably want to push this as a feature request through your Cisco Sales Account team as a new feature. This will atleast get in the pipeline to the WAAS product team and may get answered sometime in the future.

At this moment, as you have already mentioned, this is not something that is supported.

Regards.

PS: If this answers your question, please mark this as Answered.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Bhavin Yadav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

You probably want to push this as a feature request through your Cisco Sales Account team as a new feature. This will atleast get in the pipeline to the WAAS product team and may get answered sometime in the future.

At this moment, as you have already mentioned, this is not something that is supported.

Regards.

PS: If this answers your question, please mark this as Answered.

I've contacted our sales team since we had a roadmap discussion back in July.  Still have not heard back from them at all. Very disapointed in the lack of response.

Palani Karuppan and Allison Park both sat on that conference call, maybe you can give them a poke.

Thanks

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

If it was discussed, I am sure it is on its way sometime in future. The feature requests, as usual, takes lower priority and may take sometime to get addressed.

Thanks for marking this as Answered.

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: