Views
Helpful
Replies

Router throughput consideration

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

We have 4 branch offices connected thru 100mbps link with Cisco 2600 routers which has the throughput of 15mbps.

Now I am planning to replace these routers with Cisco 2901G2 ISR routers which has the throughput of 167mbps.

So if I replace the routers at one location first is it going to put more load on other routers as the new routers can handle more traffic than other 2600 routers? Should I replace all routers at once?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It is possible that new router in one location will send out more traffic to other branches if users sends out more traffic from this new location to other location.

But, you can prevent this with shaping policy applied to your new router's outgoing interface if you experience this issue.

int G0/0

service-policy pm-shape out

policy-map pm-shape

class class-default

shape average 15000000

So, I would replace one location first and monitor.

If you find congestion on other location as new router sends out more than 15 mbps, then you can apply above shape policy to restrict new router's capability until all locations are upgraded.

KK

View solution in original post

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

Yes, it will shape your traffic as 20 mbps average.

You can only apply Shaping on outgoing direction.

You can check how policy working by "sh policy-map int" and sh int.

KK.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It is possible that new router in one location will send out more traffic to other branches if users sends out more traffic from this new location to other location.

But, you can prevent this with shaping policy applied to your new router's outgoing interface if you experience this issue.

int G0/0

service-policy pm-shape out

policy-map pm-shape

class class-default

shape average 15000000

So, I would replace one location first and monitor.

If you find congestion on other location as new router sends out more than 15 mbps, then you can apply above shape policy to restrict new router's capability until all locations are upgraded.

KK

Thank You for your inputs. Could you provide me some examples/links where this shaping policy is used. What is the ideal bandwidth limit I should set on Cisco 2621 router?

Hello,

I have started experiencing the problem on other old routers. I want to make sure that the bandwidth utilization on this new router for the interface G0/0 will not exceeded 20Mbps (both In/Out). Is the following command enforce this?

int G0/0

service-policy output My-shape

policy-map My-shape

class class-default

shape average 20000000

Appreciate a quick reply.

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

Yes, it will shape your traffic as 20 mbps average.

You can only apply Shaping on outgoing direction.

You can check how policy working by "sh policy-map int" and sh int.

KK.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card