cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to stop SSDP broadcasts on a Linksys SRW2008

MJB333MJB
Level 1
Level 1

We have recently installed about 20 Cisco/LinkSys SRW2008 network switches for use as desktop switches on our network. Our monitoring software has detected that they are constantly sending out SSDP broadcasts (specifically:  SSDP:Request, NOTIFY * ).  Since there are 20 of these switches, our network is getting flooded. Is there a way to disable SSDP broadcast on the switches? I have looked on line but have not been able to find any info.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

SSDP is part of UPnP and uses UDP with a multicast address.

Check your workstations to confirm the UPnP service is running, then turn it off or remove IGMP snooping from the specific VLAN is worth a try.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately that did not seem to do it.

I checked the switches and they all have IGMP snooping set to disabled. (There is only one VLAN as we have a flat network.)

I checked the PCs connected to two of the switches and some of them did have the Universaol Plug and Play service started. As a test,  I stopped it remotely on the all PCs connected to those two switches and then monitored just those particular switches, but they are still sending out the SSDP broadcast.

Hi Michael,

OK - well the issue could be the switches themselves, and well behaved switch will treat an unknown multicast as a broadcast - they could be UPnP/SSDP compliant and they are sending out the SSDP frames.

So lets attack this from a different angle - enable IGMP snooping on the flat VLAN, then the switch will only copy/forward SSDP multicasts to ports that the switch has recevied the IGMP join on.  I have no idea if this model/ver of switch is IGMP v2 capable (understand IGMP Leave Messages/Group Join Messages)

If you have turned of UPnP on ALL workstations - in theory there should be no SSDP unless the switches are generating them or they are comming from a source you have missed?

HTH>
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco