cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade CUCM 7.1 to 8.0(One Hop Upgrade is possible)

Jamil Hussain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have a Customer who recently orderd MCS Unified CM 7,1 7816-14 Appliances(QTY = 2).I am doing the installation of Servers.

They want to upgrade CUCM from 7 to CUCM 8.Is it possible that i can upgrdae from current version to CUCM Version 8.0

Thanks.

18 Replies 18

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

It's probable - but you need to check your exact version on this matrix:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html#wp184796

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Again

I tried to upgrade CUCM System version: 7.1.5.10000-12 TO CUCM Version 8 but i received error message

"upgrade on this version is not supported "

why this version is not supprting the upgrade to Version 8.0 ?

Any advise.

Thanks.

The table already shows that as an unvalid upgrade path. Not sure why you tried even when the documentation doesn't show that as an upgrade path.

There won't be any upgrade path of 7.1(5) to 8.0(x).

The next upgrade path will be until 8.5(1) is released.

For the time being, you reached a dead end.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

7.1(5) does not support direct upgrade to version 8.0.  This is one of the trade-off's and among reasons I choose to stick with 7.1(3).  Your options for upgrade from 7.1(5) are to wait until 8.5(x) or basically the official first non dot zero release is.

Hailey

Hi David

I want to upgrade CUCM 7.1(5) to version 8.

Do i need to first upgrade in updated version of 7.1 and t hen to 8.

Like two hop upgrade.if yes then which version i will do first upgrade and then to 8.

Basically i want to do upgrade doesn't matter Direct upgrade or multi hop upgrade.

kindly advise

Regards.

I'll put this as simply as possible:

You CANNOT upgrade from 7.1(5) to 8.0.  You will have to wait for 8.5(1) to be released.

The only other option and you will need to read the release notes for 7.1(5) to see if this is supported:

You would have to revert back to an earlier version (i.e., switch partitions) from 7.1(5) to the previous version (installed on the inactive partition).

Depending on that version, you would need to go to 7.1(3) and then you can upgrade to 8.0.

When you upgraded to 7.1(5), you basically set yourself up to be in the situation where you cannot upgrade to any version of 8x BEFORE 8.5(1) is released.

Hailey

Hi,

I have downloaded CUCM UPDATE VERSION 7.1(3a)su1 to downgrage and then upgrade it to version 8

i merged both the files as cisco standard and burn the ISO Image on DVD.

From CUCMAdmin --->Navigation Tab --->Cisco Unified OS Adminsitration--->software upgrades-->

but i received error message "No valid upgrade options were found"

Kindly Advise

Jamil

You cannot use a downloaded image to downgrade a callmanager... What David is suggesting that you COULD do are the steps below, however, there are lots of reasons NOT to do this, mainly:

- If you revert to the older version of CUCM you have on your inactive partition, you will LOSE any configuration you have done since then

- You shoudl first go to CM Platform Admin, Settings/Version and see what 'inactive' version you have. Then check that against the upgrade matrix to verify what upgrades you would need to do to get to the 8.0 version you want.

- If the system has never been upgraded (i.e. was built as 7.1.5) then you won't have an earlier version to 'switch' to.

If you really need to do this, then:

1) Go into CM Platform admin, go to Settings/Version and press 'Switch Versions'.

2) You will then lose any admin changes made since you upgraded to the current version, and will go back to the old version of CCM. You would need to do this on each server.

3) From there, you could upgrade using the path you identified from the upgrade matrix.

My advice would be to not do any of this; I get the impression you don't have much CallManager experience and you are therefore probably not in a position to either fix it when this goes wrong, or know what the implications of rolling back to an older configuration would be.

You should probably wait until a newer 8 release arrives as pointed out by Java earlier.

What are you trying to fix by upgrading?

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi aaronharrison.

There is no early version only 7.1.5 is come built in with the system.

I tried to use the upgrade media 7.1(3a)su1 and try to install and then switch the version but i received error message that i mentioned earlier.

I need to upgrade it to version 8.

Regards.

I need to upgrade it to version 8.

You have been told that is not possible to upgrade three times already.

Subscribe the Software Update contract, obtain 8.0 media, do a fresh install then restore a config from backup.

Hi

OK, so we're getting somewhere now. I'll try to summarise what you've been told several times above.

Youu CANNOT UPGRADE 7.1.5 TO 8.0.

You CANNOT DOWNGRADE using downloaded media.

You CAN wait until a new release of 8.x that supports upgrade from 7.1.5.

You CAN install 8.0 as a new install, lose all configuration, and completely reconfigured your system from the ground up.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from to help identify useful content in the forums...
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Ditto to Aaron's points. You can't downgrade by running an ISO image that you downloaded. And, while I said you might be able to revert to the inactive partition and work your way up from there - there are plenty of reasons not to do that.

If I were you, I'd wait to for 8.5(1).

Hailey

Thanks dear

I understood everything but I thought maybe there should be some ways cisco introduced.

Otherwise it's ok I got it already

I was just trying to find the way.

Thanks for your information. Now I will try to do fresh installation.

Best regards,

Jamil Hussain

Best of luck then...

Please rate helpful posts and mark answered questions that you've got a satisfactory response from to help identify useful content in the forums...
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-6212

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: