cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6500 PoE again

nawas
Level 4
Level 4

I have this Cisco 6506 with two 6000W power supplies, two WS-SUP32-GE-3B and four  WS-X6148-45AF. I'm plugging about 170 IP phones on PoE ports (Avaya 4625SW) and switch is saying that it doesn't have enough power to provide to almost 30 remaining POE ports where phones plugged in. Looks like I'm liminting the power on the switch port but should'nt the 6500 support the POE on entire switch? what are my options other than combining the two power supplies? Does Cisco have any bigger/better power supplies to be used in 6500?

My next question is that I tried to configure static power to the ports. I used the following interface command
power inline static max 8000
I expected that if I limit the power to 8w per port (avaya phone uses 7.4w) and if I have 30w available in the switch (using show power available) I should be able to at least power up 2-3 phones but I got the following
Aug 17 11:40:33.402: %ILPOWER-5-ILPOWER_MISCONFIG: Interface Fa4/36 is denied power as it requires more power than configured maximum wattage(8000)
then I go in and configure power inline static max 9000 and then I got the error

Aug 18 10:02:10.945: %ILPOWER-5-ILPOWER_MISCONFIG: Interface Fa4/36 is denied power as it requires more power than configured maximum wattage(9000).

This simply tells that I'm not providing enough power to the port BUT if move the same phone to a Cisco 3560  which is also configured to use 8w of power, it powers up just fine. I'm confused why Cisco 6500 doesn't limit the power to the interface. Please advise.  I'm running version 12.2(33)SXH7

19 Replies 19

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

What type of power connection do you have to the 6000w power supplies? 110 or 220 and does each power supply have 1 or two power inputs?

Also because these are non-cisco device I think, and I could be wrong, it would be a IEEE 802.3af class 3 device as the class 2 only supplies 7w and since class 3 supplies 15.4w per device, that could be your issue.

Mike

Also check this link. I use it all the time to verify I have enough power.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/launch.jsp

Mike

I only have one connector in the power supply and they are connected to 220 watt of power. Yes avaya phones are the class-3 device and documentation says that they use max 15.4 but avaya says they use min 7.4 and I should be good with 8w. As I mentioned that the same phone works fine on 8w of power in my Cisco 3560. I don't understand why it doesn't work in 6500.

Can you post the output of show power inline

Mike

attached is the show power inline.

Did you say you staticly configured the ports on the 6506 to 8w? If you did not you could try that for the ports that have the avaya phones

Mike

I am sorry I was in the middle of something and I just re-read the post. Try staticly configuring to 8.5 or 9 and see if that works....bascily a Class 2

Mike

Tried all the option but appears that any configured value results in an error.

Did you try this command on the interfaces

power inline static max 8000

Mike

No such command, see output below. The only command under the interface it takes is " power inline static max 8000"

Router(config-if)# power inline static max 8000+* ?

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-if)# power inline static max 8000+ ?

% Unrecognized command

Router(config-if)# power inline static max 8000 ?

Right that was the one I had listed....that does not work?

Mike

It must be a restriction of the way the 6506 and the Avaya phones work together.

Mike

It appears to be and this is what I'm trying to find out.

If our (including Mike's) recommendations have rectified your issue, can please don't forget to rate our posts according?  Thanks.

(Marking our posts according can assist others who have ran into similar issues.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: