Views
Helpful
Replies

Spectrum Expert - cardbus adapter

Oscar Jaime
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

My laptop running Spectrum Expert passed away and I can't find another laptop with a cardbus slot in my company. Does anyone knows of any USB or ExpressCard to Cardbus adapter out there? Been searching and I've found some CardBus to USB adaptors but not the other way. Any help/ideas will be appreaciated.

Thanks

Oscar

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just wait.  The new version of the Spectrum Expert should be released in a few months from now and, like the others, will be in the shape of a USB.

any update with Spectrum Expert in USB interface?

I can not buy any cardbus notebook from the market

Really ? Are you sure its going to support USB form factor ? I heard differently ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

From what I have heard it's up in the air, many partners are pushing to get a cisco branded USB Spectrum card.

Any news on an USB version? It has been over a year since "a few months", and I'm afraid I lose the budget, if I'm not buying soon. And I would really like to buy the Cisco solution instead of Fluke.

Kayle Miller
Level 7
Level 7

This is an excerpt from Jennifer Huber..

"Currently I use an Addonics adapter to use the Cisco SE card in my Lenovo X201 and as you can see, the size of that is pretty awkward. http://twitpic.com/6b2p9a"

That's the best option for now!

bradwilson75
Level 1
Level 1

I just got handed a brand new Cisco Spectrum Expert Sensor (AIR-CSCO-SE-WIFI-C).

I thought we must have made a mistake or received old stock, as it is a PCMCIA Card.

It's the latter half of 2012, still no Cisco option for an ExpressCard or USB unfortunately.

Disapointed...

*bump*

If anybody from Cisco is reading, could you please let us know what is going on with this product line?  I concur it is ridiculous to be selling a PCMCIA cardbus device in the year 2013.  Just take a look at the link above to see how ridiculous the Cisco AIR-CSCO-SE-WIFI-C device looks compared to a modern USB device.  Based on this, I am not going to be recommending the Cisco device and looking at other vendors products.

The latest development is to use the APs like the 2600, 3500 and 3600 to be your "sniffers".

SE mode on the newer AP's is a fantastic feature, but it's not exactly an ideal replacement for a mobile laptop sniffer. The ability to pick up a laptop and walk it around anywhere you need to sniff without power or wired Ethernet requirements beats a wired AP, but I do like SE mode for remote sniffing.  I also tested out Spectrum Expert on a remote 3500 and it would only let me sniff one spectrum band at a time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: