cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Manual DHCP bindings

bryantsteve
Level 1
Level 1

Using Layer3 switch C3750 12.2(53) IOS I can dynamically assign IP configs to MS XP laptops with the DHCP service but I cannot statically assign host IP using the MAC address. I have tried both client-id (catenating using the 01 prefix) and by hardware ieee802 and the default Ethernet. with no success -looking for suggestions. Thanks

Should also mention on the client laptop user privileges are very restricted and network configurations cannot be changed so the router DHCP service must accommodate

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Manual DHCP binding should work fine with below config example.

ip dhcp pool Mars 
 host 172.16.2.254 mask 255.255.255.0 
 hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802
 client-name Mars

If you configured as same as above example and it is still not working, you can check why it is not working by "deb ip dhcp server packet" and "deb ip dhcp server event".

These two debug will tell you how 3750 received DHCP discover from PC and how it respond to it.

If you copy the output of above debug, I can review it.

Also, what IOS version are running on it?

KK.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kyukim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Manual DHCP binding should work fine with below config example.

ip dhcp pool Mars 
 host 172.16.2.254 mask 255.255.255.0 
 hardware-address 02c7.f800.0422 ieee802
 client-name Mars

If you configured as same as above example and it is still not working, you can check why it is not working by "deb ip dhcp server packet" and "deb ip dhcp server event".

These two debug will tell you how 3750 received DHCP discover from PC and how it respond to it.

If you copy the output of above debug, I can review it.

Also, what IOS version are running on it?

KK.

Thank you Kim, including the  client-name with the laptop's assigned name works

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card