Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS: How do I tag the native VLAN on a 802.1q trunk

Scott Cannon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

In IOS you can ask aswitch to tag yor native vlan traffic over a .1q trunk using the switchport trunk native vlan tag command. Is there an equivilant command in CatOS? And if so, can someone tell me what it is?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

'set port dot1q-all-tagged' is the equivilant CATOS command. Check the command reference of your running release to see if this command is available.

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Please try this command

set vlan vlan-id mod/port command, where mod/port is the trunk port.

You can have look into the below URL for more information

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094784.shtml

Thanks

Samy

Doesnt this set the native vlan? I already have my native vlan set (the default 1) I just want to have packets for that vlan tagged on the trunk link, and I'd prefer to do it without changing native vlan.

Will this command do the job? (I dont have a test environment so I'm relying on NetPro's experiences before implementing)

Cheers

Scott

Hi,

The command which imentioned in my thread will set the native vlan from vlan 1 to the new native vlan(by default native vlan is 1).

Generally all the frames will have their own vlan tag id.

Frames belonging to the Native VLAN do NOT carry VLAN tags when sent over the trunk. Conversely, if an untagged frame is received on a trunk port, the frame is associated with the Native VLAN for this port.

Hope it will clarify your doubt.

Thanks

Samy

Hi

Regarding your comment "Frames belonging to the Native VLAN do NOT carry VLAN tags when sent over the trunk." this is normally true. However ou can ove-ride this in IOS using the command "sw trunk nat vlan tag"

I seek the same command for CatOS. I cant find it anywhere.... perhaps CatOS doesnt support this feature...

Rgds

Scott

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Scott,

'set port dot1q-all-tagged' is the equivilant CATOS command. Check the command reference of your running release to see if this command is available.

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks Lei.

You wouldnt beleive how hard it is to find something so simple on the internet. Much appreciated. Did the trick nicely.

Cheers

Scott

Yes, totally agree. When I search myself on internet, google always give me other people with same name.

Glad to help!

Cheers

Lei Tian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: