NAM Deployment Question

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2010

I am primarily interested in network performance, behaviour analysis and capacity planning. I am in the process of demo'ing a number of different netflow collector tools such as Flukes netflow collector, Plixers Scrutiniser etc.

I have heard of the NAM / NAM 2 before but thought this would be priced too high. I have done some more reading on the product and can see benefits in its ability to also analyse traffic in real time from by using SPAN.

My question is, how many ports can you aggregate into the SPAN session on the NAM 2 6500 card ? My idea is to deploy two NAM modules in our two Core 6500 switches. One "port" on each NAM will be used to collect netflow information from the rest of the network backbone (including remote branch devices), the other "port" will be used as a destination for multiple SPAN source ports, e.g. multiple  Gigabit ethernet backbone links that interconects the entire backbone.

Can the NAM take this load on the SPAN? I have read that the NAM 2 benefits from supporting the 2 backbone fabric ports, does this therefore mean that it fully supports the 40Gbps connection into the switching fabric backbplane if you have  SUP720 deployed ?

Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

This Discussion