max number of users for cisco protectlink gateway service

Answered Question
Aug 19th, 2010

Hi All,

What is max number of users we can have when using Cisco protect link Gateway service?

There are licenses for 25 and 100 users.

If we need 125 users, can we buy two licenses one for 100 and second for 25 users? What is maximum number we can have on one SA540?

Thanks,

Lukasz

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Steven DiStefano about 6 years 5 months ago

The web filerting is unlimited actually.  The SKU max limits are more for email.

The customer now has 2 options:

1.       If they do not need email filtering, they can purchase Protectlink Web, for which the number of users is unlimited - whether it’s 5 or 100 users. It’s a yearly or 3-year subscription. The SKU options are:

L-PLGW-5R=

ProtectLink Gateway 5-seat Incremental 1-year Renewal

L-PL-WEB-1=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-WEB-3=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 3YR

2.       If the customer needs email protection on the SA500, they should purchase the Protectlink Gateway service, which offers Web threat URL filtering and email - this is where the seat count comes in. You get up to 25-emails or up to 100-emails and you get unlimited web included. The difference is we used to have 5- and 25- incremental. With the new models, you can only buy up to 25 emails or up to 100 emails. So if you have an office with 30 emails, you have to buy the 100 email license. The replacement SKUs are:

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 3YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 3YR

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Steven DiStefano Thu, 08/19/2010 - 05:31

The web filerting is unlimited actually.  The SKU max limits are more for email.

The customer now has 2 options:

1.       If they do not need email filtering, they can purchase Protectlink Web, for which the number of users is unlimited - whether it’s 5 or 100 users. It’s a yearly or 3-year subscription. The SKU options are:

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-WEB-1=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-WEB-3=

ProtectLink Web: Unlimited Web Threat + URL Filtering, 3YR

2.       If the customer needs email protection on the SA500, they should purchase the Protectlink Gateway service, which offers Web threat URL filtering and email - this is where the seat count comes in. You get up to 25-emails or up to 100-emails and you get unlimited web included. The difference is we used to have 5- and 25- incremental. With the new models, you can only buy up to 25 emails or up to 100 emails. So if you have an office with 30 emails, you have to buy the 100 email license. The replacement SKUs are:

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-100MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 100 Max Email Seats, 3YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-1=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 1YR

L-PLGW-5R=

L-PL-GW-25MAX-3=

ProtectLink Gateway: Unlimited Web + 25 Max Email Seats, 3YR

Brian Bergin Thu, 08/19/2010 - 05:45

Steven,

Thanks for clairifying.  Can you have the article I linked to updated to indicate that?

Also, can we get an explaination as to why Cisco's small biz routers support a full /24 but you only support up to 100 seats?  Seems to me at 101 you're encouraging customers to look at a competitor's product or a 3rd party e-mail filtering service like Postini.  It doesn't make sense to send customers elsewhere.

Finally, if I had 26 users I'd be rather unhappy to have to pay for 100.  Cisco is the only vendor I know of that sells products like this.  If you go to Symantec, for example, and need 26 licenses of their flagship EndPoint Protection product you buy 26 licenses, not 50 or 100 or some other number.  Given the ARP tracking necessary in all routers, you'd think Cisco could license by the device down to one at a time.  Everyone else does.  Perhaps if Cisco isn't prepared to handle software licensing like this they should leave the licesning up to Trend Micro, who licenses their products like Symantec does, one at a time after a minimum purchase of usually 5.

Steven DiStefano Thu, 08/19/2010 - 05:52

I will pass the second paragraph to the PM.  Thanks for the comments.

We do have routers we do like to see customers larger than 100 users push up to.

We consider Small Business sub 100.   I know SMB can range up to 250 in the undustry, but ths is just Small.

Brian Bergin Mon, 08/23/2010 - 08:05

Steven,

The problem with Cisco's definitions is they don't fly with orginization's like the US Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.uschambersmallbusinessnation.com/toolkits/guide/P09_1420

It states "Here is another "rule of thumb" to use. If you deal with a product (i.e., manufacture, deal, or distribute), then the size standard is based on the average number of employees over a 12-month period, typically 500 or less."

If Cisco is going to unilaterally redefine the small business model it needs to do a better job of making sure people (e.g. customers) know this up front.  Unfortunately, Cisco really has never understood the small business model and your acquisition of Linksys did little to help that as you didn't do a good job of absorbing their experience into your overall corporate structure.  All too often the SMB units like RV082's and SA500's are deliberately left out in the cold. For example, it's perfectly possible to VPN from an SA520 or RV082 to an ASA5510 but Cisco will simply NOT help a customer do this even if both units are under warranty or a support contract.  A larger SMB may have an ASA in their main office and wish to spend a bit less at small remote locations and don't need the complexity of an ASA5505.  The SA or RV units are both perfectly acceptable but Cisco just leaves its customers out there with ZERO support.  I'm betting, but of course have no proof, that this is because your big iron is what gets the favor over your lower end units which also probably have a smaller profit margin.  The problem here, however, is you fail to realize that what you need to be focusing on is selling Cisco end-to-end even if that means a bit less profit because of course if these companies figure out they can do static VPNs from Windows Server to Windows Server and bypass the Cisco equipment entirely they can use ANY vendor's firewalls and leave Cisco out of the picture.  I've had more than one go this route.

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content