Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 2960 S

emanjamin2002
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am currently doing an apprenticeship in a business here in France. They are using Cisco equipment ONLY. They have about 60 switches and they are doing some work to make the network bigger.... I am looking into the Cisco Switch 2960S and read many documents on CISCO website and others. This is very good.

I have read a french document from Cisco France (I think) on how to set up flexstack. This is also interesting and I had some questions which I found the answer for BUT I still have one or two unanswered.

1. When the 2 or 3 switch are connected with flexstack, I understood that one of them is the master and the others are the members. My question is : when you have 2 switches connected that way, when you go into configuring the switch ports, do you then see 48 ports (when you have connected 2x 2960S 24ports) ?

2. if the master goes down, then everything goes down, which will make sense, isn't it ? and the reason it is recommended to have a master as a spare ready. But how do you configure the spare in advance if he doesn't see the other switches ? Do you then configure your 2 or 3 switches, then do a copy of the configuration and download it to the spare one ahead of time ?

3. Do you have any PDF docs you may think will help me with all of this ?

Hopefully, you understand what I am asking for as I am a poor french man !!!

Manu

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manu,

Your underhanding is correct.

1, you will see 48 ports, 24 ports for each slot.

2, Yes, you can manually configure a backup master by assigning the priority to the member switch.

3,http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578928.html

HTH,

Lei Tian

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Lei Tian
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Manu,

Your underhanding is correct.

1, you will see 48 ports, 24 ports for each slot.

2, Yes, you can manually configure a backup master by assigning the priority to the member switch.

3,http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578928.html

HTH,

Lei Tian

Thanks so much.

Manu

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card