No video - remote vieweing WVC210

Unanswered Question
Aug 19th, 2010

Hello All

I have fixed most of the issue with URL and port forwarding using a USR router.  I have a new issue now.

i was able to remote to the camera from work, but the camera window remains black, all camera controls are available, but does not appear to be responsive.

Anyone have experienced this?  What is the solution?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
asarutan Thu, 08/19/2010 - 13:17

Try right-click outside the viewing window and click on "Refresh", see if that help.

leegodwine Thu, 08/19/2010 - 14:13

Hello Asarutan

Thank you for your suggestion, I tried both refresh by right clicking and using F5, in both cases, the video window remains blank.  I was able to go into setup and everything else, just that the video window stays blank

asarutan Thu, 08/19/2010 - 17:03

Have you tried accessing the camera from anywhere else? It is possible that your place of work blocks the video. Try using Firefox and see if you can at least see video (this will be in MJPEG mode, some buttons wilGo to l be missing in Firefox). Have you been able to acces the video remotely from anywhere else but your place of work?

Go to and see if you can see video there (from the computer that you can't see video on).

Let me know.....

dwetzel Thu, 08/19/2010 - 16:44

Check to see if you are using the 64-bit edition of Internet Explorer. If you are, try using the 32-bit edition.

leegodwine Thu, 08/19/2010 - 17:12

Hello Guys

Thanks for the feedback

IE is 32 bit.

The same laptop would display the video fine when connected to the network at home, it only display this black screen when connected through work

Though i will try the Firefox suggestion and the alternate location suggestion, there is a place with free wifi beside my office

leegodwine Fri, 08/20/2010 - 04:54

Firefox did the trick, so now that we know firefox work is there something in IE that i can do to make IE work as well?

asarutan Fri, 08/20/2010 - 08:05

Dear Godwine,

The problem is that your place of work do not allow activeX download and may also block some ports that allow video to come through.

riroe Mon, 08/23/2010 - 01:24

Godwine--The activeX downloads could be the problem. To check the security for activeX in Internet Explorer go toTools--- Internet Options--Security Tab--Custom Level. scroll down until you see ActiveX controls and plug-ins.  Most of the activeX options have to be enabled or  be set to Prompt. Are you getting any activeX or Certificate errors when trying to view the vidie? If you are getting the errors it would be at the top of the black screen.

leegodwine Mon, 08/23/2010 - 04:21

Thank you for the feedback

Actually, I believe the activeX controls were installed correctly, as I was able to use the same laptop at home to view the video without any problem using IE, and was able to do the same using a public WiFi on the same laptop.  It appears that IE is blocking the video contect when connecting over the work network

caterpillar95 Fri, 08/27/2010 - 10:12

I hope it's OK to jump in here rather than start a new similar post.

I also cannot view video at work but can see the controls. So the entire web page looks OK but no video.  I had to change to port 80 on my home router to even get this far.  Tried enabling the unsigned Active X controls and doing a refresh but still nothing.  Unfortunately I can not change browsers here at work. Also stuck with IE 6.0.2900.

chris parkinson Fri, 08/27/2010 - 12:19

Here's my 2 cents for what its worth.....

I just performed some testing with the PVC2300.

With this camera media only works over HTTP, not HTTPS.

From a sniffer trace it looks like the media is RTSP tunneled through the HTTP connection, this should get you around most NAT and basic firewall "gotchas".

It's possible that your work place is performing deep packet inspection and dropping the RTSP tunneled media, but that doesn't explain why Firefox works and IE doesn't.

Here's what I would try, I say "would" because I haven't tried it yet.

If you router supports VPN access, use that and drop port forwarding.

This should offer more security and protect your camera fom miscreants, especially if you're forwarding port 80 on your router.

This should also protect your traffic from sniffers and, as long as the VPN connects, reducing the impact of intermediate firewalls.

The only catch is that your employer may also block any attempts to establish a VPN user tunnel from the private side of their network, so you may still be stuck.

Good luck, let us know if you get it solved.

asarutan Mon, 08/30/2010 - 11:29

Just as a honorable mentioning...... HTTPS is for configurations only and not for video streaming.

atukegyat Sat, 10/16/2010 - 06:14

Hi i have sorted the wireless problem and it works fine after such a long time searching around, Can someone please tell me how to access the camera through a web page i can do that by typing the http://(cameras ip address):(cameras port number) and it works fine but thats from my pc when i have asked people to view it it dont work for some reason not sure why ? i think it might only work from my pc as my pc and the camera share the same internet access but when someone else try it from another location it dont work can someone please tell me what am i doing wrong here o what's missing ?

Thank You

asarutan Sat, 10/16/2010 - 09:31

Are you able to view it remotely?

You would need to use your WAN IP and port number. Your friends would need to download an activeX plugin upon initial connection to view or they would need to connect using Firefox if they do not wish to use a plugin.

atukegyat Sat, 10/16/2010 - 10:24

Well like i said i'am not sure what i'am doing wrong but it seems to work from my main pc while the camera is on wireless mode i can access it from my pc like that  but when someone else try to do it it wont work my friends cant view it and i dont know why not sure what else to do and not sure if my port is forward in the right way ... i would like simple steps like 1-2-3 to make it easy to try to know why is that not working.i have changed the port so many times but still wont work so i need to know whats wrong with it . it took me nearly all day searching but still not sure what's wrong i believe it might be something small but if it is not there then it wont work

Many thanks and looking forward to hear from you soon

atukegyat Sat, 10/16/2010 - 10:42

Hi again alan . no i cant view it remotly at all i can only type http:ip-on-cams screen:portnumber then i can access it from a web page from my pc . both my pc and the camera are connected to the same network which is my wireless router . but when i ask my friend to type http://cam ip:port number they cant view anything it wont even connect but i can do that from my ipod touch which is again connected to the internet via my wireless router and another pc at home i can access the camera by using this pc but again this pc is connected to the internet via my router but no one from outside connection can access the camera, i use camera9fc34e as the camera name . cameras ip is : port is 5631 . and i use echo life router so i went to nat and added the same camera ip in the ip thing and again the start and end port the same as the cameras port and also the application name i use the cameras name which is camera9fc34e but not sure what to chosse as there's scroll box with stuff like https and http and pop3 and alot of things i dont know about .but am i doing the right thing or not and why no one else can view it . iam so stressed out  and really coming to a point where i dont know what else to do havent spent all day just trying to sort that out. Thanks and looking forward to hear something back

atukegyat Sat, 10/16/2010 - 10:55

Hi thanks for the link but its 60 page link it will take me another day to read it and try to sort it out and i cant do that to be honest as iam half way through the whole thing if someone out there can read my previous two commments and answer me will be great

Thanks alot

atukegyat Sat, 10/16/2010 - 11:26

Hi steven thanks alot iam trying now but as iam using a diff router its hard to find would be okay if you give me your messenger and we can chat and see what iam doing wrong it might be better to do that way rather than keep replying would be great and i would appreciate it alot i use yahoo messenger .Thanks alot

This Discussion