cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BFD-triggered Fast Reroute (FRR) in IOS XR

jbaraona
Level 1
Level 1

I'm migrating the configuration from a Cisco 12416 router running Cisco IOS, to a CRS1 router running IOS-XR.

In IOS I have configured the following command for FRR "ip rsvp signalling hello bfd". I cannot find the way to configure this parameter using IOS-XR.

I don't know if anyone can help me with this request.

Thanks.

Jose.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In IOS-XR BFD triggered FRR is enabled under the mpls traffic-eng configuration mode. A sample is:

mpls traffic-eng

interface POS0/0/0/0

backup-path tunnel-te XXXX

bfd fast-detect

!

bfd minimum-interval 150

bfd multiplier 3

!

I will suggest you read the IOS-XR BFD configuration guide just to get up to speed with the details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.6/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc36bifw.html (Release 3.6 ... You can find this for subsequent releases on Cisco's website as well using the master link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5845/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html)

Atif

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Atif Awan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In IOS-XR BFD triggered FRR is enabled under the mpls traffic-eng configuration mode. A sample is:

mpls traffic-eng

interface POS0/0/0/0

backup-path tunnel-te XXXX

bfd fast-detect

!

bfd minimum-interval 150

bfd multiplier 3

!

I will suggest you read the IOS-XR BFD configuration guide just to get up to speed with the details:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios_xr_sw/iosxr_r3.6/interfaces/configuration/guide/hc36bifw.html (Release 3.6 ... You can find this for subsequent releases on Cisco's website as well using the master link http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5845/products_installation_and_configuration_guides_list.html)

Atif

Thanks a lot for your help Atif.

I will test the configuration in my lab environment and post the results.

Thanks again for your help.

Jose

Hi,

and results?

How was the test and have you got sub-second failover?

I am trying to achieve fast convergence with IP fast reroute (IP FRR) without MPLS TE.

The problem is that I don't know how to test it. With ICMP I don't get any packets lost when I shut down the interface

that is forwarding the traffic. But I don't know how to find out the time for reconvergence.

I am using BFD, too, but looks like that I get the same failover time without BFD.

The OSPF timers are these on CRS8 IOS-XR 4.0.3:

timers throttle lsa all 0 20 5000

timers throttle spf 24 24 5000

timers lsa min-arrival 20

Hello,

I you want convergence times of 10-20ms you need MPLS TE.

we also change OSPF timers to have fast IGP convergence, this is the configuration we use based on Cisco recommendations:

!

router ospf

ispf

nsf ietf

mpls ldp sync

timers throttle lsa all 0 20 5000

timers throttle spf 50 50 5000

timers lsa arrival 15

timers pacing flood 15

!

mpls ldp igp sync holddown 60000

!

hope this helps.

Thank you for the config.

We have similar timers, but I deleted timers pacing flood because I read that it is not recommended to change it.

Do you lose a packet after a failover? When I do an ICMP test and after I administravly shut down the forwarding interface no packets get lost, but when I simulate a link down so that I shut down the interface on the other side I lose one packet.

Maybe my understanding of sub-second convergence is wrong, maybe it is ok that a packet gets lost!

OSPF needs only 28msec to steer the traffic over the backup path but I can not measure the link down time detection. 

Hello,

You have to combine other things like:

ip routing protocol purge interface (global configuration)

interface GigabitEthernet x/y

carrier-delay up msec 500

carrier-delay down msec 0

let me know how that works.

Hi,

still one packet loss. I typed carrier-delay on both routers IOS and IOS-XR but "ip routing protocol purge interface" only on IOS because I could not find it on IOS-XR.

I have to say that the router are connected via DWDM and distance is maybe 30km, not sure if this is that important?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco