Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM failover

Antonsibir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there any failover mechanism for two IDSM installed in different 6500 chassis(chassis are configured as VSS)?

5 Replies 5

avanzaadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Anton

Depending on how you use the IDSM, inline or promiscuous, I would suggest looking into the Multi Chassi Ethernet option available with VSS. If both IDSM join the port channel and share the traffic that would in effect make then a failover pair.

Regards

Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

Thank you for reply! It's necessarily to configure inline mode. Could you please explain more exact or give me a link?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/ips/7.0/configuration/guide/cli/cli_idsm2.html#wp1044800

Here's the link to the IPS 7.x CLI mnaual regarding setting up and sharing an etherchannel across two IPSmodules. Just top of my head I would use inlineVLAN pair, that way I would save one interface for the future. I would then have my incoming data ports connect to one VLAN (Side A) and the outgoing data on the other VLAN (Side B).

/Fredrik

Thank you for link. But AFAIK there is no ESLB support for IDSM in  different chassis. Link that you sent me is for load balancing in the  same chassis. Do you mean that I need similar EtherChannel  and inline VLAN pair mode configurations on both IDSM and then I  need to connect both IDSM by multichassis ethernet?

That was my general idea, since VSS operationally is the same chassi it might work depending on which data flow you need to monitor.

/Fredrik

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card