Views
Helpful
Replies

Additional WDS

samirshaikh52
Level 2
Level 2

Dear Experts,

I have Cisco Aironet 1130 WAP providing WDS service and local radius authentication to Client AP's.

As per Cisco Documents, only 60 clients can be added (with radio diabled of WDS server)  to WDS Domain and we have 90 WAP.

So when I try to add 61,limitation error recieved. Now my question is that "Is is possible to add additional WDS

in the same subnet to overcome this problem ?"

I can provide WDS configuration if asked.

Any help will be appreciated.

9 Replies 9

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Per the below link, you can only have one WDS Master per domain/subnet.  You can use a second AP as a WDS backup, by using a lower priority.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00804d4421.shtml#qa17

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Is it possible to keep WDS and Clients in a separate subnet ??

Yes.  The VLAN the AP is in is for managing the AP, although you can put clients on this VLAN if you like.  On the AP you define dot1q encapsulated subinterfaces to link the cilents into the appropriate VLAN.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have attached a sample configuration of WAP.

And switch configuration

interface gigaethernet 0/16

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 25

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,11,25

switchport mode trunk

Now you can see the AP configuration that its default gateway is 20.20.0.1 (Vlan 25)

What would of the configuration of a new WDS. If i keep in other subnet

Any suggestions.

Any help ??

The only thing you would really have to change is what subinterfaces are "native".  If you put the AP in VLAN 30, then the encapsulation dot1q 30 native instead of 25 native, etc

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for the support. Now all the things have been cleared regrading vlans,trunk etc.

Only last question The configuration of Client should be simila with WDS in relation to interfaces,subinterfaces,ssid's,encryption,

For example i created interface dot11radio 0.1 on a client, the same should be configured on WDS
Will these cahnges affect authenticating to WDS server.

really appreciated

no, for WDS if it's not servicing clients doesn't even need the subinterfaces, all the config for the client auth is under the WLCCP config for what AAA groups to point to.  But if you are just looking to template the configs, then you could make them all match with the exception of name and IP and have no issues.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for your precious time you gave to clear my doubts

can i have your e-mail (if u dont mind) nncase if i want to ask i contact through email

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card